1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serpentine Belt replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Conrad, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Conrad

Conrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thinking of replacing the belt now at 130k miles. Is the idler spring loaded or is there an adjustment?
    Do I want to do this from below or the top? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. jqmello

jqmello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to be the first to point you to Hobbit's tutorial, although there's also links to how to do it on a number of different threads here, with official Toyota diagrams (check the 100k Service thread)

100K maint - 2

Basically, it's dead simple, there are two bolts on the idler pulley. One bolt is the main mounting bolt and the other is the adjuster bolt. Loosen the main mounting bolt FIRST, then loosen the adjuster bolt. Slide the old belt off, slide the new belt on, tighten the adjuster bolt until the belt's got a finger's give when you really press on it, then tighten down the mounting bolt.

3. Conrad

Conrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info. I guess I could have jacked the car up and crawled under it and looked. I only looked from the top as I'm pretty long of tooth and this slithering on the ground ain't as easy as it used to be.