1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Server Migration 2023 Updates

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, Sep 9, 2023.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Grateful he's still out there working on this website... That's way more than seemed like was going to happen in recent weeks.

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If Danny decides to throw in the towel, maybe someone could take over? Where is the server hosted? Cloud base or at his home/workplace? Cloud base would make it easier to transfer ownership but even if it's physical, there are ways to transfer the data to a new owner.

3. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... Many of us have made that offer. But Danny runs an IT company in Florida so his problem is being too much of a resource to too many, not a lack of resources to keep the site running, just a lack of time to get the work done.

And I think the fact that he spent the better part of the holiday weekend working on the site that he's committed to keeping it going and has no interest in selling or gifting the site to the community.

sylvaing likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We were all hoping you had the answer to those questions :cool:

5. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lol, back in the 80s, I wrote a BBS program in C that I ran on my Atari ST through a 1200 baud modem. Those were the days :)

nerfer and bisco like this.
  6. maleko

maleko Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    $0.02 - [ UNPOPULAR ? ] OPINION:
    I like this forum as much as anyone, but man, some of you in here are impatient and needy. I can't believe some of the stuff I read in this thread.

Leave the damn owner of this forum the hell alone if he doesn't respond. He has no obligation to answer or reply to any of you and your questions / proposals / etc. The fact there was discussion of trying to reach him in person or via LinkedIn or however you think "best" is annoying in the best possible context and stalker-ish / illegal in the worst context.

If everyone here has such strong opinions and skills of your own to offer, start your own forums, build out the infrastructure, and host it all yourself. Otherwise, be thankful this site is still live, even if partially broken, or even if it were to become non-functional and serve strictly as an archive.

The nerve of some people...smh.

/rant

Roqu3 and nerfer like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some of us have alot invested in this community and would experience a significant set back in our day to day workflow without it. And you and others coming on here and saying that the owner of the website can do whatever he wants is totally obvious to the point of not being relevent.

The point is, if he shut it down or let it crash from lack of maintenance that would be an injustice to all who have put decades of work into helping people fix their Prius. To say we're being rude to respectfully communicate our concerns is oblivious of what's at stake/how much we value this community, especially when there's people who made clear they would pay a large amount of money to keep this site going. And that's because you can't just start a new forum with 20 years of large scale participation at a million views a month.

As in there's more than a dozen online forums for hybrid cars and all of them combined doesn't have the same value as this one. And if you want to beat people up with the typical capitalist rhetoric of individual ownership is the only thing that matters and the community doesn't, you're part of what's wrong with our society.

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's all take a deep breath and relax.
    I've been here since 2006, although I haven't been too active the last few years.
    Even back in the early days, Danny didn't post a lot, and rarely responded to questions posed to him. But he's kept the site running since 2003, and it's still the most active Prius forum with a lot of history. I wouldn't get too alarmed.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I saw a "migration in progress, please check back later" page for a couple hours, and now it seems ... kinda snappy.

Fingers crossed....

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tideland Prius and nerfer like this.