1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service advice for Prius Prime after 2 year warranty ends

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ridprius, Mar 30, 2019.

1. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have this problem, too, since we have three vehicles and only one (my little Scion commuter car) gets more than 5,000 in a year. After talking to friends who are master mechanics, the most common answer is, yes, the maximum time you want to leave old oil in a vehicle is a year...no matter how many miles you put on her. I do my own oil changes in the garage with ramps on I have (I buy Toyota OEM filters on-line and get fully synthetic when on sale a my local car parts stores.) But at least every 2 years, I'll have my Toyota dealer do the oil change as they, also, rotate my tires for me AND I makes sure they run the VIN to check for any recalls or TSBs for me. (Yes, I've had times where both a recall was on-going and a TSB was issued on my vehicle.)

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Volt can go up to two years before the system calls for an oil change. The called for oil specification is that same as other GM gasoline cars. Presumably, the seals and design clearances are just as tight on the Prius, so it shouldn't be seeing more outside contaminates getting into the oil than the Volt. Engine start up is a less harsh affair with both. With a shorter EV range, the Prime is more likely to see more engine use, but this comes down to the individual use.

So two years between oil changes should be doable with a Prime. Users here doing oil analysis have gone over 10k miles between changes.

3. Arctic_White

Arctic_White Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Simple question: does Toyota also call for a 2-year interval? Based on Canadian owners manual, it does not. It states minimum 1-year interval.

Therefore, why would you want to not follow what is recommended in the owner's manual? There could also be warranty issues further down the line if your cannot show that oil was changed as per manufacturer's recommendation.

Blauer Glimmer likes this.
  4. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Arctic_White likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota, at least in the US, calls for an oil change at the same interval for ICE, hybrid, and PHEV cars. The main reason for changing the oil is because protective additives get used up. Since most of the consumption happens while the engine is actually running, and rate depends on how hard it is running, it makes no technical sense for these different car types to use the same service schedule.

When the oil is changed too soon, resources are wasted; time, money, and materials. It may not be much individually, but adds up over the thousands of cars.

Prius from Dad and Arctic_White like this.