1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB-0204-11

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by seilerts, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's my problem: my job is mainly checking, so it's hard to turn it off I guess. Gotta let go, LOL.

2. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can someone please explain how a redesigned motor mount will "Cure" the cylinder misfiring that goes along with the shaking??....:confused:

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My car was assembled on the Tsutsumi line#1. What would be considered mid-year?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As I suspect and as stated by many others, probably nothing. But you get a free engine mount out of it, that may be a problem later. You still have to take what they offer within the time limit placed for documentation purposes. They are paying for it.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you not read the TSB? It states all 2010-2011 MY assembled at Tsutsumi #1.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agree .... that is my take on it from what I have experienced. I do not see how this will fix the problem but as you say it may dampen it to the point that it is no longer alarming or may not cause any long term damage.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    And doesn't MY mean mid year, which would mean up to a certain build point?

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is not misfiring. That would set a P030x code. Because of the way the engine works, it is very difficult to tell the difference between normal operation and misfire. Search P3191 in the older forums, you'll find a lot of people saying, "My engine runs for 10 seconds and then dies." In those cases, the engine is not running, it is misfire on all 4 cylinders. Even a guy with custom exhaust on a Gen I got fooled.

When the Oil Control Valve on a VVT motor gets clogged, there can be one hell of a diesel-engine racket. Some videos and sounds clips that people have posted sound like that.

MY means Model Year.

2 people like this.
  9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I've dealt with other car lines and MY usually meant mid-year with them.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Akio Toyoda respectfully asks that you do not question Toyota's noble engineers.

And when you are getting that new redesigned motor mount, be sure to ask about the Toyota approved Zip Ties for the floor mats...

1 person likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Akio, while we've got your attention:

Never mind the zip ties, how about a rubber insert for the driver's mat, or let us buy replacement mats only.

One year, 17000 km:

[​IMG]

Back on topic:

I agree: new engine mount does not seem to get to the root of the shaking problem. A problem I've not experienced, but sounds alarming!

2 people like this.
  12. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This used to happen to my J-code 2007 Camry Hybrid with a 2.4L ICE. I don't think it ever happened below freezing.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never heard of that before. MY has always meant Model Year in my book.

With some cars, there are even .5 designations. Example was the 2004.5 350Z. I unfortunately had the 04, not the 04.5. There were some changes that began on the 04.5.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've dealt with this on GM, VW and Subaru where whatever you were looking in, parts book, bulletin, manual, etc. there was a MY change. Then the fun would begin because it would be by VIN, build date or by actually looking at the part.

15. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    OK...so a question I've yet to see addressed. Even if I claim that this startup knocking has occurred, won't the dealership require that they repeat it before implementing the TSB? In which case, I'm likely to be denied and SOL.

It happened once to me last winter, but I didn't document it with the local dealer (my bad?) and have since moved out of state.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The TSB does not mention having to duplicate the problem, just that the customer complains that it has happened.

This is the way the Front and Rear Brakes TSB was stated. The Service Advisor just questioned me on when it happened and what were the symptons. He documented this on the Service Work Order, had the technician check everything, order the parts and then they replaced the brake parts when they came in.

OT but I do not understand why this has to be a two trip process. Why you can't drop by one afternoon and have them document the problem, order the parts and then schedule you for the completion? I was told that a technician has to check everything before he can order the parts to make sure that he orders the correct parts. Then you have to make a second appointment to have the parts installled :cool:

17. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. My dealer (where I previously lived) would not guarantee that the TSB would even be done for the brakes until a technician actually drove it and observed for himself (i.e. my complaint was not sufficient). That's probably customary since I'm just considered a lowly customer who heard a strange noise. ;) And yes, that second visit was also required on my part (it took the parts about 2 weeks to arrive).

I hope the local dealership doesn't ask to keep it in order to repeat the problem on this current TSB. They are in all likelihood going to be left scratching their heads.

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Much depends on the Dealership and on how you approach them. My dealer replaced both the front struts and forward brake pins to fix my rattles before any TSB, because it could be duplicated, and I was given a loaner both times. This T-SB addresses a known intermittent problem most service depts are aware of, and know is near impossible to duplicate on demand. They still need you to bring it in to verify VIN and order parts. Bring the T-SB with you as well, just in case. If warranty provides a loaner because of the time needed for the repair and they do not offer, then remind them - politely. Remember the dealer did not make the car and gets paid little for the correction. Some dealers are crooks, but not most. Toyota mandate take precedence here so they must comply. If they resist, get on the phone to Toyota - politely.

19. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can see where the engine "shaking" we have experienced under certain conditions at startup could damage an engine mount and result in abnormal engine "vibration or droaning", but I don't see, nor does the TSB say, that a bad engine mount is the cause of the engine shaking.

I had the shaking occur a couple times in the first 15,000 miles or so and have avoided it since by always allowing the engine to go through its warmup cycle and stop on its own, even if that means letting the engine run after I move the car only a few feet.

Thanks for the TSB. Your dilligence is appreciated and your posts are informative. Hopefully, this mystery will be solved one day.

Fostel and seilerts like this.
  20. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree the engine mount is probably not the cause of the shaking. But mine shook so violently a couple of times that I am going to have the motor mount replaced just in case it was damaged. Also maybe I'll find if it does cure the problem. Besides that my under engine cover could use some new clips.

I had the local dealership order the new engine mount and a couple of new gas struts for my hatchback. They didn't ask any questions or tell me it needs to be verified, they just said OK we'll call when it comes in.

1 person likes this.