1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

service department - taken for a ride?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Birdums, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a question for you guys. I took DuPree in for his 15k service, and to have them check my backup camera (I sometimes get a black screen). Because DH could not take the car in, I went to the dealership before work to drop off the car, and the dealership took me to work and picked me up after work (a very short trip). So, they had the car all day.

When I picked the car up, although it had been a cool day, overcast with periods of drizzle, I was surprised when I got into the car and the A/C was on full blast. The A/C was not on when I dropped off the car. I also noticed that the car had 5 more miles on it than when I had dropped it off.

I regularly check my tank average mpg. The tank average (I was at about 1/2 tank) had dropped a full 2 mpg. I'm on the way home, so I call the guy to ask about these things. His excuse is that they go for a short drive in the car to make sure everything is working ok.

So, the next morning, I get into the car to go to work. I need the defroster, to clear up some condensation on the windshield. I touch the button, and the defroster roars to life... and stays on... and on... and was getting cold. Wth? So I go to the A/C menu on the MFD, to find that my temp setting had been changed from 78 to 65 degrees.

Everyone at work thinks that someone at the dealership took my car out for lunch or something. What is your opinion?

By the way, they didn't find the problem with the camera. They said they found no 'codes'. Is that ALL they do to find a problem? Do they not check for loose wires or anything?

2. richlaz

richlaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While we're talking about service departments, I've got another question. I took my 2007 in Saturday for an oil change. The car has 21K miles. The service manager told me that it was due for a tune-up! I don't think I've had a car in the last 20 years that has needed a tune up at 20K miles. Is there something I don't know about the Prius that makes a tune-up nec3essary so early??

PS - I told him no thanks.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tell him to treat you like a valued customer that you want return businees from instead of trying to rip me off or I'll find another dealer that values my business

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, there is no "tune-up" at 20K. You need to change the plugs at 100K. Perhaps that is what he was thinking of. :rolleyes:

Tom

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure why it was necessary to drive your car five miles regarding the camera since it only works when the car is in R. I wouldn't be surprised if your car was used for an errand, be glad you don't find a ketchup stain on the upholstery, or a loose French fry under the seat.

Regarding the camera problem, if it is intermittent and there's no failure at the time the tech looks at the car, it probably is too much to expect for that individual to pull off the lower hatch trim to wiggle the cable leading to the camera. Apparently they can't bill Toyota for warranty service time unless they can find the failed part.

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they disconnected the 12v battery, I believe you will lose the temperature setting you had. Were the radio presets also different from what you had?

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It wouldn't surprise me if they drove it on a short errand and/or to lunch while trying to recreate conditions that would show an intermittent problem. I would grant them some slack for that. (The tech should have reset the temp to your settings when he was done though.)

8. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just be glad they're not revving it while its up on the lift wasting gas.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    meh, if they're trying to replicate something and take it for a short drive to be sure everything is ok during a max service you can expect a few miles. after all, they're probably checking to make sure the alignment and suspension are ok and such.

pretty typical for the guy who drives it from the lot to the service bay to crank the a/c if it's a hot day.

unfortunately, intermittent problems are hard to diagnose. and if the problem isn't occurring, you can't tell if anything you did actually fixed it. you have to confirm the problem before attempting repair.

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The other excuse for blasting the A/C might be trying to get the
    engine to stay running, not that they needed to do that in this
    case. There's a better way to do that, but the popular mythology
    among auto techs where hybrids are concerned seems to be "A/C
    on full to make the engine idle". Inelegant and silly, even if
    it usually works.
    _H*

11. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was experiencing a problem with my car and at one point, the dealer suggested I take one of their Prii for a comparison drive. They brought me a customer's car that had just been serviced - the tech & I went for a 4-mile test drive. I was extra cautious and considerate with the car, but... that was just wrong. I kept thinking, what if we got in an accident?

12. chriscard25

chriscard25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    BINGO--exactly what I thought--my guess is they let someone test drive your car, since there aren't many left on lots to drive these days.....