1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Set a RECORD Distance on 1 Tank...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Billy56, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    My friend Wayne Gerdes and I were talking, and discussed a scenario. If we wanted to set a national record for farthest distance traveled on a single tank of fuel in a stock Prius, we might do this:

Take my 2020 Prius L ECO, during late July when the rockies/midwest is experiencing a heat wave, and drive to the top of Pikes Peak. Take a 3 gallon full can of gasoline, and top off the tank. Have 65 psi in the tires. Begin by coasting all the way down, after ensuring battery pack if full with regen. This would use up a lot of brake pad, but that's ok.

When reaching the bottom, proceed driving to Colorado Springs and continue east. Get out to the flatlands of the midwest, and just follow the wind, whichever direction it goes. Stay on country roads where we can drive slow, averaging about 28 MPH. We should be able to average about 115 MPG, getting nearly 1320 miles on this tank of gas. We purposely run the car out of gas, shutting engine off manually just as we sense it is missing or sputtering.....so it does not quite totally run dry. Does that sound like fun??

2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds crazy but expect to get pulled over by the cops for only going 28mph on our highways...that's a hazard on our 75 mph interstates where most folks are doing 85+!!!!
    Personally, I'd never EVER let my vehicle run out of gas because the fuel pumps sits inside the tank and that's a good way to burn that puppy out....and replacing it requires dropping the tank. (MSRP on a fuel pump for a Gen 4 is $385.50)

MIkeDr likes this.
  3. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Evidently you did not read my post carefully. I am speaking of staying off the freeway and driving on back country roads. I have done this many times over the years. Also, I talked about shutting the engine off as it begins to sputter, and NOT totally draining the fuel pressure. I have done this many times on cars and airplanes....

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If this was really a big risk, then Bib Wilson should have experienced it many times. He ran them dry over 50 times for fun / sport / engineering curiosity / fuel comparison tests, reported plenty of interesting finds back to us, and never had a fuel pump failure.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Follow the science seems to be a popular saying nowadays....:)
    Fuel pump is immersed in fuel to help it stay cool. Fuel flows through it to help it cool. No fuel = less cooling=eventual pump damage?

C'mon man! It's science. It has to be right. No other opinions are permitted.

Just havin' fun...

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a reason to not aim for the existing (that I've heard) Prius world record of 118.6 MPG? This ought to be easier in a Gen4 than it was in a Gen2:
    Which gen Prius has highest MPG? | Page 2 | PriusChat

7. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Hi Fuzzy1......the 118.6 you are speaking of was NOT draining a full tank of fuel. I am dreaming of farthest distance traveled on a tank of gas. Am not sure what the MPG would be in this scenario...

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was over a single-tank distance of 1889.4 miles.

Though it did help that they had bigger tanks. You'll want to scale that back to our Prius tank size.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you do the math about how long it might take to to drive almost 2k miles at 25 mph?
    unless the brakes started to smoke and / or catch on fire. Ever see a big rig descending a western states mountain pass at 65 mpg with smoke billowing and sparks flying from all 18 of its wheels?
    LOL great fun indeed.

10. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not on the Gen.3 .....not sure about the Gen. 4......FWIW

11. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Yeah, Pikes Peak is elevation 14,300 feet. That would give us a great start to our efficiency run. I just wonder if the brake pads would wear out....although presently after 200,000 miles, my original pads have MORE than 50% left.

12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nah - it might be interesting to see just how much they do wear on the Pikes Peak coast downward.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Plenty of Prii have been up there, and not worn out their brakes on descent. Though when I descended in mine (and took several turnouts for cooling, as the prevailing traffic speed was too slow to get much engine braking in a Prius), another vehicle seriously smoked its brakes and was ordered into the cooling off parking area at the mandatory brake checkpoint. It was an F-150 pickup, but the Florida plates should be a clue to why it happened.

Billy56 likes this.