1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Set DCL threshold with weak traction battery

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by a.mcintosh, Sep 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. a.mcintosh

a.mcintosh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My 2015 Prius with 130,000 miles was in storage for a month, and gave the dreaded P0A80 Hybrid system error very soon after I started driving it again.

I replaced 2 modules, carefully paired the modules into blocks, and drove another 9,000 miles. Then I got another code, replaced 2 more modules, and there is one certain section of road where it almost always throws the code again. This is a seemingly slightly rising stretch of road with a 30 MPH speed limit.

I have noticed that when I clear the code with Dr. Prius and the OBDLink dongle while in READY, the DCL and CCL stay small until I stop and restart the engine, and that the car operates mostly fine, with some loss of regeneration, and a little more strain on the ICE with these limits.

I am building a DIY reconditioner, but I also want to have the car operational for limited use in the meanwhile.

So I wonder if there is a way to set a smaller limit for the DCL It usually runs about 15 kW, I am thinking more like 4 or 5 kW. The twin goals are so that the battery doesn't discharge enough to develop a large voltage differential and trip the code, and also to cause the ICE to engage sooner.

I don't view this as a permanent solution, just while I am building the re-conditioner.

Redline96 likes this.
  2. Redline96

Redline96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe you could adjust the DCL with one of those professional-grade OBD2 bidirectional diagnostic tools that can be hundreds of dollars to over $1,000 (especially if it's Snap-On). At that point, could you buy enough cells to replace/rebuild each pack? Are the copper contacts that connects each pack shiny copper? Is the squirrel cage cooler fan and battery exhaust clean? Is one or more of the battery temperature probes misreading or failing? I feel like I'm shooting arrows into the wind hoping to hit something. We as hybrid owners haven't broken new ground, but it is still a new frontier in many ways. Maybe Scotty Kilmer, Eric the Car Guy, Chris Fix, the Humble Mechanic, or the Car Wizard knows some more about this. Personally, when I purchased my Prius C, the previous owner solved this problem by buying a refurbished battery pack with a lifetime warranty (that was transferrable). The older Honda Civic hybrid & 1st Gen Insight had the same or similar problem of hybrid battery failure (I don't know if it's the same OBD2 code(s)) and they would switch or pull out a breaker (I think to the battery control module) and it would run like a non-hybrid. I'm guessing it's detailed on Honda-Tech's website. Alas, this is Toyota, but I mention this because there maybe a similar temporary solution in our beloved Priuses (Prii?).

Does your Prius use Nickel Hydride or Li-Ion? That would determine what reconditioner you use.

I think a Prius owner (or maybe a Tesla owner) took a battery charger for a radio controlled car and used it to fill single cells up to full capacity and then reinstalled them and supposedly fix his insufficient battery pack. Is that what you're going to do?
    When the traction battery weakens below threshold or dies in my C, I'll probably have the same company the previous owner used or buy a refurb from RockAuto and may have my mobile mechanic come install it for me.

3. a.mcintosh

a.mcintosh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

4. a.mcintosh

a.mcintosh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is the stock NiMH battery. I just hoped that I could change the limit settings and keep driving while I am re-furbishing the cells.