1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SET Is up to its old GAMES on Gen III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TADFAR, Jun 5, 2009.

1. TADFAR

TADFAR Junior Member

Southeast Toyota Is up to its old GAMES on Gen III

I was a former Toyota Sales Person in Venice Fl. I just checked prices for the new Gen III and it seems SET has decided to add its Bogus $699.00 Toyoguard ($10.00 worth of scotch guard, Lame towing) and get this $1,699.00 17" rims on all levels including the base Prius II.
    Plus $229.00 floor mats, Plus $99.00 on all cars for a total of $2,726.00 Added to the base price, all added at the port so Jim Moran's kids can buy more yachts So:

Prus II = $25,501.00 +Stealer Fees
    Prus III =$26,501.00 +stealer fees
    Prius IV = $29,301.00

Jim Moran and Co. Owners of SET are the absolute lowest of the used car salesman stereotype. They also own JMR, the finance company that sells you over priced warranties and insurance.

Do they not realize the economy is bad, especially in the Southeast.

Just boils my blood, a main reason i hated that business.

2. edwjmcgrath

edwjmcgrath New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Three weeks ago the dealer in Naples was quoting his "Best Price" on an 09(!!) as above list price because of the $699. That's why I'm buying up north.

3. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would definitely think about buying in a different region. It just doesn't seem right!:(

4. bsr

bsr New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where does SET exist? I looked and saw that 700$ "option" on all those cars and pretty much have decided there is no way I'm going to buy with that crap.

I'm in NC, so how far north does SET exist?

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    From a wiki:

Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC (SET) is the world’s largest franchised distributor of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota"]Toyota[/ame] vehicles. The 172 dealers in the five states of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina & South Carolina account for 20% of Toyota sales in the United States. SET is a wholly owned subsidiary of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JM_Family_Enterprises"]JM Family Enterprises[/ame].

6. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    VA is not part of the SET mafia, I'm told, so I will buy my Prius from a dealer in VA next year. No way am I going to deal with anyone in the SET territory. Thank goodness for the Internet and the ability to 'deal' from long distance ahead of time and then go pick up your car. It's a 45 min flight up to Dulles airport from RDU and very doable. Just say NO to SET.

7. Falcon

Falcon New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can’t agree more. I have been looking and wanting to buy the new 2010 Prius V with Advanced Technology Package, but I will wait until dealers stop charging MSRP or over. This could be for sometime and if that is what it is I will wait. The car I drive now get in the lower 40’s and it’s paid for so I can wait!

I too will not buy in North Carolina since I live near the NC border and Danville VA is only 20 miles from where I live I will buy it there and not pay the SET B.S! Its only a two-hour drive from Raleigh to Danville VA.

I had one dealer in NC that would sell me the Prius with the SET removed and at MSRP but wanted to take my trade for about 2,000.00 below KBB so I walked; To me that is an insult to sell me a car at MSRP and rob me on my trade.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good luck getting anywhere close to KBB right now, private party or otherwise.

If you "order" your Prius before it hits port then you have a good chance of getting the SET crap removed. My dealer in Asheville (Jim Barkley Toyota) doesn't let SET put the "obligatory" add-ons any of their cars unless a customer specifically requests it.

9. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I live near Orlando. Wanted a red/bisque V with no Nav or ATC. Was frustrated with the SET dealers (2 local here - fees, stuffed PIOs). One of the guys on the site, Jason Spielman, posted info about an honest dealer in North Palm Beach, Earl Stewart Toyota. He has a '10 on order thru them.
    I contacted them Tuesday and they couldn't have been nicer. Straight MSRP, no fees, no forced options - period. Here's the bottom line. They called me this morning - they made a swap for the exact car I wanted - I saw it on the SET inventory before. Have the VIN, and locked into the deal this morning. It's on a ship right now, expected in Jacksonville FL port 6/13 and at the dealer around the 20th. Unbelievable - very fortunate, I so lucked out. Now I need to check out the Port Options I want, probably minimal. No forced Toyoguard junk - they simply don't do that - a family run dealer since the 30s. I'm phsched. Feel free to check out their dealer site:
    Earl Stewart Toyota: Palm Beach New Toyota Dealer; Cars, Trucks, Used Toyotas; North Palm Beach, FL; Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Stuart, Ft Lauderdale
    They have a piece on no dealer fees on the home page
    Contact is Jason Stewart, co-owner. Tell him Dean sent you (I won't get anything, just want to promote PriusChat)
    Oh - I'm just a regular guy/PC poster - not associated with them at all, other than being a new customer. We need to promote the good dealers out there.

10. Zaxcom

Zaxcom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my dealer in charlotte did not add any of the SET fee's. I was not forced to take one option i did not want. no toyo guard, no paks at all.

Another dealer in the area would not play ball with me. I told him what i would pay and that i wont take a car with any paks on it and he just walked away.

In fact the car came in with a few options i did not want so he had them remove them at the port. the only thing he tried to do was get me to buy the very expensive extended warranty, but i passed on that. i got the car for straight msrp and he threw in the floor mats. I think its a matter of who you deal with and what mood they are in.

11. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Earl Stewart Toyota is the same dealership running the Palm Beach to D.C. PHEV Prius on 1 tank of gas right now...he has a thread on this site where you can follow his progress (think he's in Savannah, GA today).

From his site, Earl Stewart seems like a pretty cool dude. There's a red phone at his dealership that customers can pick up the phone and it's direct dialed to his cell phone if they want to talk to the man himself...neato! Not to mention, as long as you keep your Toyota factory warranty in place with regular maintenance you get free tires and batteries for life!

DeanFL looks like he got his 2010 from the right guy!

1 person likes this.
  12. psu77

psu77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with the all of the comments on Earl Stewart. I am picking up my car from them on Saturday. Also, I recommend that you sell your traded cars to CarMax. I got the KBB fair value and it took about 30 minutes. This will enable you to find the best price on the car without being screwed on the trade in.

13. Mr. Nelsby

Mr. Nelsby New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just don't understand why cars are subject to such douchery when it comes to pricing...

Ironically, I was at my dealer this morning because they were changing out a badly damaged tire on my 05 prius (don't ask). Alas, it doesn't seem like Lexington, MA has any '10s yet, but I love my dealer. They set me up in an office with wireless so I could work while I waited for my tire... all that after calling them last night in a panic and not having an appointment before work this morning. Frankly, these guys kiss my nice person so much when I bring the car in, it is worth a slightly higher price for customer service (within reason of course).

My poor little gen 2 must know it's days are numbered, but I'm going to spoil her in the meantime.

14. DJDave

DJDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my '05 from Joseph Toyota in Cincinnati. Not a penny over MSRP, no dealer add on fees or anything of the lind. I check yesterday on 2010's and was assured that theeir price policy has not and will not change. Good luck.

15. DJDave

DJDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can somebody explain "SET"?

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    wholesale distributor for a 5 state region:

Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC (SET) is the world’s largest franchised distributor of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota"]Toyota[/ame]
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota"][​IMG] Toyota[/ame]
    vehicles. The 172 dealers in the five states of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina & South Carolina account for 20% of Toyota sales in the United States. SET is a wholly owned subsidiary of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JM_Family_Enterprises"]JM Family Enterprises[/ame]
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JM_Family_Enterprises"][​IMG] JM_Family_Enterprises[/ame]

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes me wonder why Toyota deal with them? I always thought Toyota only use partners of the highest integrity.

Toyota, it sounds like these guys are letting the side down.

18. sharkdaddy

sharkdaddy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Listen - don't let the dealers tell you Toyoguard is required by SET or Toyota - it is the dealers' choice to put it on the car. Yes it is done at the port in Jacksonville and it is a SET accessory, but it is OPTIONAL, just like window tint or floor mats.

Dealers love it 'cause it beefs up their thin mark-ups, and you can't take it off once it leaves port. I know that Earl Stewart doesn't stock any of his new vehicles with Toyoguard. I'm glad to see him getting mentioned a lot here. I bought my '09 there - got a good deal and it was easy and enjoyable.