1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Set my own navigation!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by spyder123, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. spyder123

spyder123 Junior Member

I just received a 2017 Prius Prime Advanced. I have used the nav system to guide me to work. Although it tells me to take a particular exit, I know it is not the best. I take the next exit that the nav system suggests, but it then tries to direct me back to the highway to take the exit it suggested. On my 2005 Prius, it realized I took the second exit and directed me properly to work. I have read and re-read the manual, but cannot get me to re-program the system to take the exit I want. If I were to follow the nav system, I would add an extra mile or two and encounter more traffic. Any help you can provid will be appeciated.

Nic Steussy and bisco like this.
  2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    there's an option to avoid highways in the Nav settings

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like toy nav has actually gone backwards in efficiency. why am i not surprised/:cool:

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't comment with respect to the P.Prime in particular, since mine hasn't arrived yet, but on my 2009 (Gen-2), I have found that:
    - All in all, it usually works just fine, but
    - Occasionally it does wacky crap like you're describing here, but
    - Occasionally it gives me very-insightful directions based upon information that I was not aware of.

The most common problem I've had with it isn't a problem with the Nav as such: It tells me that I have arrived at my destination, and yet I still can't find it! Not surprisingly, those are cases where the destination is just simply not really well-marked from the road.

Still, there might be ways the Nav, conceptually speaking at least, could help with that:

The most-recent time that happened, it told me I had arrived but in fact I still had 5-10ish meters to go, and the place I was trying to go to was hidden behind some trees from there. I agree that -- generally speaking -- it's better for it to tell me that I've arrived a little early rather than a little late, but it appears that strategy isn't always best.

Another way it potentially could help would be if it's map included some sort of representation of the trees hiding the destination. It wouldn't have to be a full satellite/drone overview as such.

Conceptually, I could have seen the remaining 5-10ish meters on the map if I were to zoom in further. I can't remember either way as to whether I could have zoomed in further.

I do remember, however, that I tried to get my iPhone to show me where it is after the Toyota Nav said I'd already arrived, and the iPhone pretty much said the same: that I'd already arrived.

iPhone ? Pro

#4 mr88cet, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    MikeDee likes this.
  5. KCWhitney

KCWhitney Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't tried this yet, but the manual refers to the ability to set (and store) a custom route. You would access this through the Options button on the main nave page (11 inch display).

priuscatprimeguy and Nic Steussy like this.
  6. Crowmag Naman

Crowmag Naman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    On the map in the top left corner select "option". hit that twice and there is an option to trace a route. I dont remember the exact wording as im not in my car. I was told by the dealer that once the route is traced you can select it and it will notify you of traffic congestion. I havn't tried this yet but it should be the way to get you to the destination the way you want.

7. spyder123

spyder123 Junior Member

I'm still trying to get the NAV system to go the way I WANT it to go. I did, with extreme diffIcutly, enter a personal route. BUT, I could not find a way to call it up and not se it. I spent over an hour in the car and I do not know if it was saved or how to recall it and use it. Help, please!

8. rroxby

rroxby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have similar problems with the nav system in my 2017 Prius Prime Advanced. I have been testing it on familiar routes since I got it in March 2018. It often does not take you by the most efficient route and sometimes does bizarre things, like taking you a mile past a turn you need to make and then having you reverse direction by getting off at the next exit, going over an overpass and then taking you back to your turn. I'd like to stick a Garmin over the stupid thing, but the nav screen is touch sensitive and I haven't found a place to stick it. Windshield, I guess. It would be better there anyway, because I don't like the way you have to take your eyes away from the road to look at the built-in screen. The Garmin has much better voice recognition and traffic rerouting too.

CraigCSJ likes this.
  9. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Toyota (Denso) navigation avoids many roadways that my Garmin Nuvi gladly uses. This occurs on my ‘18 Prime as it did with my Gen2 back in ‘04.

10. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I took a trip to Delaware from Maine this past summer and the stupid nav system had me exit the Jersey Turnpike, take a few turns and get back onto the same Jersey Turnpike. Wth??

11. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My 06 needed a garmin alongside, so did my 11, and now my 17’, if you don’t know the route, use the garmin, the Prius is great for checking what’s at the next exit, but ignore it’s directions if you don’t know the route.