1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Setting a budget

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by newbiePG, Jul 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. newbiePG

newbiePG New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I'm new to driving in general, nevermind actually buying a car, so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I'm moving from NYC out West, so I'm going to need a car, and have settled on a used Prius. I'm trying to decide between spending $10K on the car and leaving some of my moving budget for other stuff, or spending closer to $14K. I could buy the car in Phoenix or Los Angeles, but Phoenix seems cheaper. Any rough idea of what I could get for $10K versus $14K? TIA!

2. newbiePG

newbiePG New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To provide a little more context, I hope not to spend much on maintenance. I was arbitrarily going for 50K miles or less, no accidents/structural damage, and I heard the Prius had some design enhancements in 2012 so I was hoping for 2012 or later. Being a new driver I don't really care about many specific features other than general safety I guess.

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Buy the car in the state where you will be living, fees could be doubled up if you buy in Arizona and register it in Cali. California is loaded with used Prii, bargain hard.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you may want to look locally, and drive it out west. cali prices are high, due to demand, and used pri in az are questionable due to the heat.

5. newbiePG

newbiePG New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips! Definitely food for thought. Not sure if it's the best site to look, but TrueCar definitely has fewer Prii 2012 or later for less than 50,000 in the $12K range in Los Angeles as opposed to Phoenix. What kind of fees am I looking at for an out of state car? Maybe $1000 in taxes? And is the heat in Phoenix harder on the battery? The selection of used Prii looks even worse in NYC, plus I don't have time to drive it across country, so I don't think that's ideal.