1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Setting up a new key FOB when your only FOB has limited functionality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mcslain, Jun 4, 2020.

1. mcslain

mcslain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other day my key fob fell out of my pocket and was left outside overnight, and of course it rained. Now it appears to be useless. That leaves me with my backup fob. This key works if I insert it in the key slot, but none of the remote functionality works with this key. It is an original from a 2005 Prius, so not surprising. Also the battery is new. I'd obviously like to set up a new key fob, but all the steps to program one seem to require a fully functional key. Can anyone help me out here and let me know what my options are, if any?

Thanks!
    Mark

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried putting it in a bag of rice, or opening it up and using a hairdryer on it?

Salvage09 likes this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't put in a bag of rice, open it up and remove the battery, RFID chip, and PCB (printed circuit board) spray the PCB with PCB cleaner and then blow dry with a can of compressed air. Leave it apart for a couple of days in a dry warm place to ensure all moisture evaporates from the case. Put it back together and see if it works. If it doesn't you haven't lost anything but if it does you saved quite a bit. The sooner you do this the better the chance of success.

If it is working (or once you get a replacement), get a second key made so it too is fully functional.

Check out the prices on toyotapartsdeal.com (TRANSMITTER SUB-ASSY, ELECTRICAL KEY – silver logo for SKS; black logo for non-SKS) for a new key fob. There are other key fob threads that have the correct part number. Buy genuine new Toyota key fob only for the best chance of success.

4. mcslain

mcslain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the advice so far. I'll try to revive the other key. But, my real purpose here was this question:

** Is there a way to program a new key without a fully working key fob? **

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It can be done it you have or have access to the right equipment and resources. It requires a reset and reseed. There are a few posts here that give the details if you want to try searching.

6. Salvage09

Salvage09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II