1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Setting Up An Action Cam in a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by JimmyPri, Aug 22, 2016.

1. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I posted another 2016 Prius video on youtube. It is on setting up a camera to film through the windshield. It is at

The video camera I used was a Sony AS100v Action Cam. It is so small there is minimal, almost no, blocking the drivers view. The smallest field of view is 120 degrees that does have a slight distortion of the image sometimes on the outer edges of the frame. I'll use it for Prius road trip videos. Here is a photo showing that you can hardly see the camera.
    PriCamView.jpg
    It is under the mirror. Watch the video to see how fast it is set up.

'LectroFuel and Jim in NC like this.
  2. kenji4861

kenji4861 Member

Great video! I'm guessing the camera wouldn't work well if you have TSS-P?

3. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. I don't know since I do not have TSS but maybe someone on this forum with more knowledge of electronics and TSS will know the answer. It might work because I watch several websites with people driving Teslas with all that radar stuff and they use windshield mounted and dashboard mounted cameras. Although they use different cameras but that shouldn't make a difference. I hope it does since I would love to see a lot more Prius drivers doing road trip videos and posting them. That is why I am showing how easy it can be.

4. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've been interested in a dash cam but I haven't found a model I think I'd like. The other thing is that I'd like to have it plugged in to the power. And that requires some dismantling of the car's interior to install the power cable. It's sort of on my back list.

dfine1966 likes this.
  5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I installed dash cams on my two toyotas by tapping into the map light power and partially "hiding" the cameras in front of the rear view mirror. I went with Garmin because of quality and dependability.

6. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lovely video and a great camera. Sorry but if anyone wants to buy my nearly new HDR AS100V action cam is there an area I can post this advert on here?

7. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I think. And, If you were referring to me thinking I was posting an advertisement here I am not selling it or advertising it. It is an attempt to share information. And hopefully motivate other Prius drivers to do some road trip videos so we can learn more about the car and at the same time see other parts of the US and the world through the eyes of a Prius. That just happens to be the camera I use and will be using. There are many cameras to choose from. There is more than the wriitten word to share information about the Prius.

8. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lol on the contrary, I was using this thread to sell mine ;-) Tut Tut.

SM-G928T ?

9. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good luck. Peace, Jimmy