1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Several issues after changing cabin air filter, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by phisixfly, Jul 18, 2012.

1. phisixfly

phisixfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope I am posting in the right forum. I would really appreciate your help!

Here is the history: I bought a 2004 Prius two days ago at 160k miles. Everything seemed fine with it and the person seemed very trustworthy. I had no issues at all driving, everything was smooth. I put about 120 miles on it until last night with no issues.

After I bought the Prius, I came on these forums and saw the cabin filter thread. I felt that it was a simple enough task to just change it myself and wasn't sure when the last one was changed.

So last night, I checked the filter to see if it was changed recently and found some leaves and stuff in there. I cleaned off the leaves and decided to buy a new filter and replace it in the morning. *edit* I replaced it right after I checked it

When I turned on the car this morning, the check engine light came on. So I took it to autozone, and the person there scanned it and the code for Mass Airflow filter came up (I think it either P0101 or P0102). Then I just replaced the cabin air filter there and started driving off and the CEL (Check engine light) went off.

I drove for about 15 miles and the light came on again. I took it back to autozone to see if it was the same code again. There was a different person there and had issues with hooking up the scanner to the prius. Once he figured it out how to connect it, all the lights on the dashboard came on and the scanner wouldn't connect to the car. At this point, they told me there was nothing they can do about it. After this incident, when I started driving, now I have both the check engine light and the red triangle ! light. I went to the dealer who was pretty close to the autozone and they are asking for a $100 just to look at it (not fix it).

Is the dealer my only option at this point? I am hoping to not spend much money if I can help it. I am a student. Are there any independent shops that can diagnose this? or are these issues (the red light!) dealer only? I believe they have a special diagnostic tool or something like that right?

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is not a big job to clean the mas air flow sensor inside the filter intake. Just insure you get the proper cleaner for this job. Do a search and on how to, if you are not familiar with this. Google it! H

3. phisixfly

phisixfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would the red warning light come on with just the mass air flow sensor issue? The red light is not going away, it came on after the second time at autozone when the guy tried to scan the car. They tried several times and they couldn't scan it and the red light came on.

4. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    These problems showing up after changing the cabin air filter are totally coincidental. The MAF sensor is behind the engine air filter, not the cabin air filter.

Find someplace else that can get you the codes if Autozone can't do it right.

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. phisixfly

phisixfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if it is a coincidence because it happened the next time I started the car after I looked at the cabin filter.

By the way, a quick update: The red warning light went away after I came home and then started the car after a couple hours. I think the reason it came on was that it was turned on (without the engine on) a little too long and maybe the battery in the back was a little low? I'm not sure. The check engine light is still on though.

I'll take it to another shop tomorrow and hopefully, they can tell me what is going on.

6. phisixfly

phisixfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than the CEL, the car is running amazing. When I focus on getting good gas mileage, I can get well over 60mpg. But I only get like 40 if I drive it normally like other cars.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the cabin air filter was in need of cleaning, then the engine air filter is likewise suspect. It is easy, so do that before anything else. While you have the filter off, you can look down the throttle body and see the MAF sensor, and its condition. Cleaning it is also not a big deal as noted above.

8. phisixfly

phisixfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice, I'll be doing that soon. Just ordered a new engine filter. By the way, the engine check light just went off tonight when I turned the car on. I hope it stays off! I'll still be changing the engine filter soon though.

I love this car! Really hoping it lasts a long time.

9. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the engine air filter on both my Prii this past weekend. Came to <$18 each at the local auto parts store. Takes less than 3 mins to pop off the cover, pull out the old filter, clean out the debris in the air box, put the new one in and close the cover.

10. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I focus on getting good gas mileage, I can get well over 60mpg.
    As you drive your Prius, you will continue to learn how to get the best mileage - we consistently get 50-55 mpg here in Minnesota (in the Summer) - it drops in the Winter to 45-50.​

11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Phisixfly,
    Since you are new, I will give you some of my experience w/ the Prius. When you first get your Prius, anytime a light or Triangle comes up, you freak out (I did the same thing). Then you go to get help and noone knows how to work on a Prius (and it causes more problems). I don't know what caused your DTC's to come up but when/if I get an error code, the first thing I do is pay attention to how its driving, what is my mpg, is the hybrid system cycling properly? If all that is fine, I read the codes, make a note of them and reset them (I use torque for android, others use scanguage and others simply disconnect the 12v for about 1 minute and reconnect to reset the codes). Then I drive the car and wait to see if they come back. If they come back consistently (which in my case they haven't) that's when you know they're valid and repair/maintenance is necessary.

It should be noted that this is simply what I do and is by no means what others would recommend (I'm sure rebuttals to me will follow). What I can say for sure is this website is the place to come for Prius info. There are numerous knowledgeable people here that will sincerely try to help and freely offer their experience.

Welcome to Our World!!!!!!

phisixfly likes this.
  12. phisixfly

phisixfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah... I was totally freaking out when it came up. It's ridiculous that the dealership would charge $100 just to take a look at it... I need to look around my area for regular mechanics who are knowledgeable about a prius.

Is it common to get check engine lights all the time on these?

13. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is not common to get them all the time. I have had only one on my '06 (self induced) and about 4 on my '01. In all cases, I reset them and they never came back. I have read numerous posts here very similiar to yours where people freak out, pay the dealer to read them and end up having no problems after they are reset.

14. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No!

Knowing as much as possible about this very complex car will reduce the freak out factor. I have read or skimmed 1000's of posts on this list by now, and am still learning. Reading through the sticky postings at the top of each subforum is a good place to start. Set your location in the Preferences for this site, and others can point you at the best Prius shop near you.

And running Priidash or Torque will aid the learning process greatly. At first maybe you will want to let someone else do the driving, so you can see all the gauges that display what is happening under the hood.

phisixfly and usnavystgc like this.
  15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's great advice nh70. I think most of us could say the same thing. The Prius is very complex but, the more you learn the simpler it gets.

phisixfly likes this.
  16. phisixfly

phisixfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Done. If anyone can direct to a good one, that would be great!

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is not a good idea to leave the Prius turned on for long periods in any mode other than ready, as this can flatten not only the 12v battery (a low 12v battery is renown for giving false DTC's "codes") but can also discharge the HVbattery leading to even more problems.

I suggest you check the voltage of the 12v battery in accessory mode with the headlamps on and report back the voltage.

John.

18. phisixfly

phisixfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi John, can you explain these modes to me? It is slightly confusing. If i don't press on the brake and push the power button once, is that accessory mode? Is ready mode where you push the power button twice without foot on the brake?

I think what I did was just push the power button once without pressing on the brake for the autozone guy to get the obd2 scan. I ran into trouble the second time i tried to do this. Do you scan with the obd2 on accessory or ready mode? Ready means the engine is started right?

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ready mode is when you put your foot on the brake and push the start button once "ready appears on dash"

If you push the start button once without putting your foot on the brake this is what I call radio mode "the radio works".

Pushing the start button a second time puts the car in accessory mode every thing works but the engine.

It is ok to leave the car in ready mode and park (not neutral!!!) as long as you have fuel in the tank. Leave the car in this mode if you want to sit in and listen to the radio, the batteries will keep charged. This mode should also be used for OBD scan.

Do not use the other modes except for very short periods as they are able to discharge the 12v battery. It is difficult to tell how good the 12v battery is because it "unlike other cars" does not turn the engine over so you cannot hear that sound of a slow turn over. The best way of telling it's condition is to do a voltage check but not in ready as the battery is then on charge.

Hope this is clear.

John

phisixfly likes this.
  20. phisixfly

phisixfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay is my Prius messed up? (2004)

It seems like I have two modes: Pushing the button without the brake (Radio mode)

If I push it again, it feels like it's the same thing as putting my foot on the break and pushing it once (I can drive the car off in both modes)

My dash never says "Ready" when I push the button while keeping my foot on the brake. All the lights come on and I can drive... (same as with just pushing the power button twice)

I think I figured out what my problem was. The 12V battery on my prius is probably dying/almost dead. That's why it must have been drained really fast when we were trying to scan.