1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Several issues and what I think they mean...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dvancleve, May 29, 2017.

1. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Howdy folks.

My family's 2006 Prius has several minor issues. I did some poking around in here, and I think I know what the probable solutions are. There is a ton of stuff in here though, and I'm hoping someone can confirm my conclusions.

First off, my MFD does not always respond appropriately. Generally sections of it seem to work, but not everything. I just replaced the 12 V battery for the second time (Exide AGM), I was hoping that was the issue, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. This means replacing the MFD, correct?

I think the other two issues may be related. The cruise control has never resumed reliably, and at some point the steering wheel recirc and defroster buttons on the lower right quit working. I'm not sure when, I never really use them much. All the controls on the left side of the wheel work fine. I believe this all points to the spiral cable being bad?

I think if I can get all the steering wheel controls working reliably, I will leave the MFD alone until it gets really bad. The car is pretty much on beater and kid driver duty, 150K miles and on the second hybrid battery.

Thanks, Doug

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're spot on, let's see what others have to say. all the best!(y)

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Main battery usually last around 200k. But if you take off like a bat out if hell it's harder on them.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, spiral cable. Use your VIN to get the right part number--there are different button configurations.

5. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The original hybrid battery croaked at about 94K, it was replaced under warranty a few months before the warranty ran out. I'm hopeful the second one will last a lot longer than that…