1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sewing Machine Sound in Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andrew Chandler, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Andrew Chandler

Andrew Chandler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's an odd sound under the hood that is normally going while the car is on. Occasionally when I'm stopped, the sound will continue for a few minutes then eventually stop if I am in aprk for a while.

It's difficult for me to perfectly describe the sound, but I'd say it's similar to a sewing machine. I attached a video to help. My check engine light will turn on for a few hours to a day, then inevitably turn off again without me doing anything. When the check engine light was on, it was read to be relating to the water pump valve. Any thoughts on what the sound is?

AltraStache likes this.
  2. AltraStache

AltraStache Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    What was the code that came up to tell you that it was related to the water pump valve?

3. Andrew Chandler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately I don't know. I pulled into my mechanic when my light turned on and he said, "Wow. It's saying a lot of stuff! You might need your water pump valves adjusted but I'll turn off your check engine light and come back in if it returns."

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might get a head start by searching for any videos you can find of other people with flaky coolant control valves. When the position sensor on the valve gets flaky, the computer hunts the valve back and forth trying to find the right position. "Sewing machine" might be a way to describe how it sounds. Find some recordings of it by others and see if they sound like yours.

Andrew Chandler and AltraStache like this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The sound from a failed coolant valve can be heard much louder in the engine compartment. My car makes that noise and the coolant valve hasn't triggered a failure code. But the fix is to replace the valve

Andrew Chandler likes this.
  6. Andrew Chandler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I really appreciate the help

Thank you! I will buy the part and give it a try myself and hopefully won't have to call a tow truck afterwards. Might try replacing the valve in the mechanic's parking lot just in case lol

#6 Andrew Chandler, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2020