1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sextants, navigation and such

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, May 21, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My main interest is to talk about use of such archaic (?) tools. Despite my shallow understanding and no experience, we might smoke out some skilled persons here.

First understand that latitude is how far you are from equator, that being circle of earth’s daily rotation. Longitude is how far you are ‘around’ the sphere away from arbitrary zero line perpendicular to latitude. After not much dispute, zero line was set to Greenwich UK. Longitude is also time, see below.

These things mostly matter(ed) for ships at sea. On land, just walk into a bar and ask where you are. At least one person might know.

At sea, lacking bars, determinations of location were DIY. People have been setting out in boats since we don’t know, and lacking maps and location-knowing, many found themselves wherever, or as fish food, or other brave (sorta pointless) end games. Knowing locations better, at sea, was at least an economic proposition.

Duff mariners apparently toodled about for thousands of years, collectively. About AD 1730, with global maps having become useful, folks got cranking on determination of latitude. Knowledge of where ‘things’ ought to be in sky (ephemeris; it is a book), vs. one’s location and a vague knowledge of time, those together provide brave sailors their latitudes. Lacking only a gadget to determine astro-objects’ angles above horizon.

We retreat to about 200 BC to consider astrolabe. High tech then, I guess, the version 1 latitude finder. Not very good, and supported by a not-very-good ephemeris. But, y’know, sailors gotta sail. They became fish food, as often as not.

AD 1730 thing was sextant, a nice machine. Nowadays one can buy a crap reproduction of this seminal navigational version 2 device for ~$50. Sextant allows one to find a very accurate angle of sky-things to horizon. With training and ephemeris book in hand, nail your latitude even with an inaccurate clock.

But of course, sailors wanted longitude as well, which was totally tied to more accurate clocks. Several books I don’t link examined their development. I am, transparently, goading some readers here to engage this topic.

Looking at the sky with gadgets supported by accurate clocks to know where one is had about a 2-century run. Current and future technologies will never again have 2-century runs. Earth’s oceans are now plied by vessels knowing their positions at 10-meter scales or better. At very least this is version 3 of knowing ‘where am I?’.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I seem to remember for version 2, a very substantial monetary prize was offered to encourage development of accurate mobile clocks. Somewhat akin to the more recent Ansari X Prize for privately funded space flight. It took a long time, but was eventually awarded to a watch maker, John Harrison, nearly 60 years after the British Parliament put up the offer.

Ah, here is a list of various significant technology prizes, and this landed as #2:
    10 Technology Prizes That Propelled Us Forward | Mental Floss
    Ansari X landed as #5. The Darpa Grand Challenge for autonomous vehicles, which I recently mentioned in another thread, is #6.

Version 3 is also based on clocks, but with a substantial boost to nanosecond-level stability.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some sextant-inspired useful protocols that can be handy in other settings:

1. Owing to the instrument's sheer importance to seeing friends/spouses/children again, a useful protocol for handing one to another person:

A: "HAVE YOU GOT IT?"

B: "YES SIR I HAVE IT!"

A: Now lets go.

2. Dealing with measurement error.

Before sighting your celestial object, sight the horizon itself. This should be zero degrees, but things being things, will end up being some small number.

Don't obsessively reach for your little screwdriver and fiddle the mirror screw to make it zero. Just write it down, then subtract it from your celestial object reading later.

Obsessive screw fiddling eventually leaves sloppy threads and an unreliable sextant. Subtraction is free.

Other miscellaneous stuff....

If you're on land, probably terrain distorts your 'horizon'. You can shoot the angle between your celestial body and its reflection on the surface of a liquid puddle and divide by two.

If you're in an airplane, you can use a sextant with a bubble in some fluid built in. A bunch of those were made and they turn up on eBay with some regularity.

If you're at sea, the horizon might be easy to spot, but don't forget your deck-to-waterline height and how tall you are.

-Chap

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm just trying to keep straight, latitude and longitude, which is which.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    John Harrison@3. Oh yes.