1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shake and Hestiate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by j2ee, Mar 23, 2012.

1. j2ee

j2ee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All,
    I have 2008 Prius with 80K and I will try my best to give all the information that I can. The past few days during about 10-15 MPH driving, my car started to shake a little bit when I try to accelerate. It doesn’t want to go no more than 5-10 MPH and I feel like I was driving on the small bumps. It went away after 10 seconds. Again, I can't duplicate the issue. It happend only twice.

Could this be related to 12 V battery issue, tires issues, transmission, fuel injection, spark plugs?

· About a year ago, my 12V battery die because I was listening the radio for a couple of hours and turn the light on. With the help of my neighbor’s car, I was able to jump start my prius. I got of course I got a message complaining about “car needs to be on the flat, and you can’t drive, etc…â€. The message went away after a few minutes start and restart and the car has been driving fine since.
    · Recently, I have seen a couple of same messages again while on the park.
    · Have some decent threads left in my Michelin tires.

2. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How soon after your jump start did this problem begin? What was your jump start procedure?

3. j2ee

j2ee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Before I jump, I made sure I read all the threads and manual. I am pretty sure I followed exactly like what manual say. This happened probably about 10 months ago.
    The hesitation problem is in the past two days. I hope this is not related to it. :confused:

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how has your fuel economy been the past 10 days compared to what it should be this time of year?

5. j2ee

j2ee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will keep an eye on it the next time. What are you thinking of?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be the 12v if your mileage has dropped.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Shake/hesitate when the car is already moving perhaps means that the gas motor is not firing. I.e., the electric motor is cranking the gas motor without having it fire. That causes a vibration slightly different from when the engine is running, and certainly causes sluggish acceleration vs. throttle input. If the throttle plate sticks for a few seconds, it is possible that this behavior would not generate misfire or P3191 codes. Now then, is it sluggish AND the engine RPMs are high? That would be something different.

8. j2ee

j2ee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks all...what's the easiest thing I can start doing now to eliminate one thing at a time?

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Throttle body & maf cleaning.