1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

shaky driver side rear view mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by realjo, Jul 30, 2010.

1. realjo

realjo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2010 Prius:
    During my first visit to dealership at 5000 mile service I told them to see what’s wrong with my driver side rear view mirror why it is shaky. (It only shakes / vibrates left right NOT up down, and depending on the wind, road bumps have no affect) Obviously they could not duplicate it.

I called Toyota and Dealer wanted me to test-drive with a technician and show him the problem, which I did and technician agreed that there is a lot of wind induced shaking at the same time passenger side mirror is rock solid. They replaced the mirror with another mirror.

Now here is the problem, new one is also shaking. Is anyone else having this problem? I am from SF Bay Area driving on 80, 780 and 680 near Fairfield (mostly windy)

My other cars 2003 Corolla, 2002 Odyssey, driving in same area, mirror are rock solid never saw shaking.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have no vibration in my mirrors at all.

3. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine does it too. Very annoying.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No issues with side view mirrors, but the rear view mirror vibrates if I'm listening to music with a lot of bass.

5. rb337

rb337 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am experiencing the same exact issue with my driver side mirror. It vibrates excessively on almost all road surfaces. Advised dealer about it during scheduled maintenance visit, but of course they couldn't reproduce it. Funny, it started vibrating as soon as I drove away, and continues to vibrate each day. At least your dealer tried replacing the mirror. :(

Rearview mirror has also been a problem from day one. Although from reading other posts in the forum, it appears that everyone has this issue as well. I like the car very much, but it does have its cheap spots. Unfortunate for a $32-35K automobile.

6. cwaynedavis

cwaynedavis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Didn't have the side view mirror issue, yet, but the rear view mirror is an easy fix. There's a small screw central to the mount. Tighten it up, and the vibration is gone. If it continues, maybe a drop of locktite on the screw would help.

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same issue with my driver side mirror. Is there any TSB on this?

8. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Probably depends on the number of complaints Toyota gets from owners and dealers.