1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Share Your Home Energy/Efficiency Improvements

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by iplug, Jul 10, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I added thick fiberglass sheets to my sisters' house attic in north-central Ohio; it was a painful experience! That house has 'bad windows' I did not improve them. Have no data on energy improvements.

Perhaps other PC people do such work. Please report it here.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    windows or insulation?

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Big PV system is the main one at my house. About 90% of electricity for the year is covered. Started switching incandescent to fluorescent to LED lighting. That's about it for now.

MT2L03 ?

4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So kids get no A/C overnight?

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You know you can get multi-zone mini split one for each bedrooms and still use half the wattage as central AC.

6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Happy to report we are making progress on our home energy/efficiency wish list from 3 years ago:

-scheduled later this month to preemptively replace our 16 year old central AC unit with a 23.50 SEER/10.20 HSPF Air-Source Heat Pump; back then we were thinking dual fuel with a gas furnace, but we are actually ditching our existing gas furnace as the heat pump is far more efficient and will be able to operate in heat pump only mode all (mild) winter long; it will have back-up electric heat strips in case of emergency or if we want to heat the home more rapidly than the heat pump can handle, but don't expect to really use that

-scheduled later this month to install a high efficiency variable speed pool pump, replacing an old (?2002 installed?) energy hog

-still have the heat pump clothes dryer on our wish list; electric heating element dryer still going strong and current heat pump models for sale not quite up to what we want yet

-in 2016 wife traded in her ICE car for a Nissan Leaf on lease

-drought has not returned over the last couple winters, so have yet to do xeriscaping on all grass areas and expanding existing drip system further

A couple upgrades not on the prior wish list:
    -Fall 2017, we pre-emptively replaced a 15 year old gas water heater with a 3.70 UEF heat pump water heater; this thing is amazing, very efficient

-added more solar panels in April 2017: over the last 12 months our total actual production was a bit over 16 MWh/yr; that's a lot more solar production than might seem necessary for net zero, but with 2 plug-in vehicles and going heat pump water heater and air-source central heat pump, we will need those extra MWh

Zythryn likes this.
  7. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We replaced an old 2 speed pool pump with a new variable speed Pentair unit last year. Our local utility even provided a direct $250 rebate to the installation company. It reduced our electric bill over $100/mo! The old pump was over 20 years old and had broken impellers.

I would like to know more about your heat pump appliances - water heater, HVAC, etc. Right now we’re debating installing a heat pump pool heater to extend the swimming season. I know solar is an option, but it a 35,000 gallon pool and the amount of roof space or real estate needed for the helicoils would be massive. And I don’t want to deal with leaks especially on the roof.

The HVAC interests me, but can it really cool when the ambient air temperature is 106° like today?

8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Do you have photovoltaic (PV) solar on your house already? If you are not already heating your pool by standard resistive electricity or gas, even an efficient heat pump pool heater will register strongly on you utility bills without PV solar offset.

How expensive is electricity from your utility? We are serviced by PG&E where everyone is on some form of tiered rate plan. Essentially, any electricity beyond minimal consumption quickly escalates $/kWh such that to run extra goodies like heat pumps without PV solar on my rate plan would cost a crushing $0.46/kWh.

I would ask an installer to try to estimate for you how much energy a pool heat pump would cost you and make sure you have budgeted for this on your electric bill or offset by solar PV.

The central house air-source heat pump and heat pump water heat work well for us because we generate about 16 MWh/yr of PV solar and are on net metering. This setup allows us to be close to net zero with our two plug-in cars and the only fossil fuel source in the house is a gas range that uses a fraction of a percent of therms compared to the gas furnace on its way out and retired gas water heater.

On these boards Zythryn is possibly the furthest along on all things net zero and he has a quite informative website if you have not seen it: http://netzeromn.com

Yes. A heat pump works exactly like an air conditioning unit when operating in cooling mode. It can handle all the same cooling demands a standard HVAC AC can. But unlike a standard AC unit, it also works in reverse in heating mode for winter months.

9. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No, we have not moved to PV yet. The initial investment looks pretty pricey and the other option is leasing from Solar City. It’s a 2800 sq ft main house and a separate 1100 sq ft guest house.

The only tax breaks offered in Arizona are state and Federal installation tax credits. Right now my electricity bill is $233/month. I’m on a level payment plan. Tucson Electric Power is our supplier.

The pool is currently unheated. So swimming season runs from about June though September. Night time temps control the temperature of the pool.

I have a dual zone AC system and a gas fired furnace. One of the AC units is variable speed. The other smaller unit is single speed. The guest house has its own roof mounted AC, but the guest house is only used by my sister and brother-in-law during winter months.

But we’re in the process of starting a major remodel that will involve replacing the mechanical systems, so everything is on the table.

I’ll have to dig deeper into this. I just don’t know the ROI and the time frame it would take to get there. I do like your ideas. Thanks for responding

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When we bought the 1949 built two story house in 2006, my wife gave the roof 5 years, and it lasted 6.

I chose highly reflective shingles and Hybrid attic fans. They are solar from when the sun rises until the attic needs more than 500 CFM airflow. Once the temp rises above that, they are grid powered until the temp falls.
    GAF | Timberline Cool Series Roofing Shingles
    Master Flow 500/900 CFM Dual-Powered Roof-Mount Exhaust Fan (Solar/Electric Hybrid)-PRHYBRID - The Home Depot

When we bought it, I upgraded 73 sockets to CFL, as they slowly burn out I am moving to LED. There are two dimmable floods in Den that are still incandescent, as well as the oven and interior microwave. It is also a range hood, and the hood lights are now candelabra CFL.

With the exception that they only mount to a wall, I like these motion lights a great deal. amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUBBGAS

We swapped out the windows and doors for double pane, added insulation in the walls and attic, the downstairs A/C is SEER 23. (the upstairs space is only used for guests, and the A/C sees much less use, I have a remote thermostat for it. amazon.com/dp/B01LTHM8LG The computer/laundry room has an LG SEER 21 ductless A/C unit as it gets warmer than rest of the house.

Her next project will be a new kitchen, we will see how I do at guiding her to energy efficient designs.

iplug likes this.
  11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you looked into an insulated cover for the pool?
    If you can retain that night time heat, you may find you can avoid the large/huge amount of energy it takes to heat that volume of water.

Your house may already be set up this way, but take advantage of natural shading and airflow.
    I wou;d guess half to 2/3rds of our heat comes from passive solar in the winter (which is the bigger issue in MN). Managing window positions, overhangs and positions of openable windows to allow the best cross breezes can lower the need for a powered system.
    I have zero practical knowledge about building in Arizona. I suspect many of the same general ideas could be used.

iplug likes this.
  12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Passive pool cover heating can be a great and cost effective way to go.

We are fortunate to have a rectangular shaped pool that allows the fit of our automatic pool cover. This helps considerably with pool temperature control and water evaporation.

Our pool is slightly dark blue, has lots of sun exposure all year, and in our sunny climate absorbs heat well during the day. At night time, much of the gained heat will radiate back out. But the pool cover closed at night slows this down considerably allowing the pool to stay a few degrees warmer than otherwise. For essentially no increased electrical use/cost we are able to extend our pool season for at least a month.

Another nice thing is that sometimes the pool gets too hot in the middle of the summer left uncovered, so closing the pool cover during the day when not used and opening it at night lowers the temperature a few degrees preventing the water from being too uncomfortorably warm for swimming.

Also, evaporation from our pool is reduced ~90% when the pool cover is closed (which is the case for most of the year). The pool uses a fraction of water that would be required to keep an equivalent footprint of grass green.

Zythryn likes this.
  13. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We tried the pool cover method. But the pool is irregular kidney shaped, with no area for a roller to be installed. The cover looked like thick bubble wrap. I did help retain heat and keep evaporation down, but it was a struggle to install and remove. It also started breaking down from sun damage after a few months.

We next tried solar rings. Helped a little, but also broke down quickly. I've even thought about using a liquid cover to see if it works.

My wife would like to extend the pool season for our guests. A natural gas fired heater is effective, but very expensive. We would have to have natural gas run over 100 feet to a heater. We considered propane, but the cost of the tank and the propane itself is high. Higher than natural gas. That brought us to the idea of the heat pump.

There are some very good heat pump pool heaters that will work all the way down into the 40 degree range, but the price goes up for that option. And it appears you can keep them running pretty much 24/7, so you don't have to overcome a big ramp up to heat the pool, like the gas alternatives.

We had a pool company come out last week to give us a bid on the heater and some other improvements to the pool - some new decking and a new waterfall. Hopefully I'll get some information soon. Thanks again to you and Zythryn for the advice.

iplug likes this.
  14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We're still going forward with replacing our old AC and gas furnace with an air sourced central heat pump, but install is delayed a bit.

We had signed up with a Costco affiliated company who was set to install a Lennox XP25 (SEER 23.5, HSPF 10.2) unit and upgrade us to a variable speed pool pump later this week, but they deployed some bait and switch tactics with the pool pump after the contract was signed, so we had to cancel that install.

We are now going with a Carrier Infinity 20 Greenspeed (SEER 20.5, HSPF 13) unit set to install in two weeks.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    SEER > seems amazingly good. Guess I have not looked as such numbers for a long time.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (warning - humor ahead)
    I don't wanna hear about 'environmental' until they tell me they have one of these bad boys -
    [​IMG]
    a composting toilet?! Eck

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nothing new, harrumph:

upload_2018-5-23_13-12-7.png

18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, there has been solid progress of cooling and heating efficiencies over the decades. AFAIK the current residential central air cooling efficiency leader is at ~24 SEER.

We have been working to get the house towards net zero and off fossil fuels, so are ditching the gas furnace. The new heat pump with HSPF of 13 (most efficienct heat pump model in heating mode), will move 3.8 units of heat energy from outdoors to indoors per unit of work energy used. So compared to resistive heating, the unit is 3.8x more efficient.

Cooling effeciencies seem to be further along than heating. Our new unit with SEER 20.5 will remove 5.4 units of heat energy from indoors per unit of work energy.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The SEER on my Fujitsu minisplit was 20, back in 2009. And some other units (especially Mitsubishi) were a couple notches higher even back then. The whole field has moved up since, so that some central whole-house units (always lower than the best minisplits) are now getting ahead of my minisplit.

In my home and climate, heating is far more important. This unit has HSPF of 10.
    Note the theoretical heating / cooling efficiency depends on the indoor - outdoor temperature difference (absolute temperature ratio, technically, but that doesn't meaningfully change the argument). The greater the difference, the lower the theoretical efficiency cap.

SEER (cooling) is defined around a smaller temperature difference than HSPF (heating). Thus, barring mechanical oddities in the particular system, SEER should always have a better number.

iplug likes this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    iirc, doesn't the SEER # also take into account a unit's ability to dry the air (think 98% Florida humidity) as well?

A local AC guy told us that if we upgraded from (for example) a seer 18 to a Seer 24, the unit would not pay for its savings for at least 10 years. The other issue for us is our dinosaur central AC is still working, & it was probably built before the Seer concept even came into existence.