1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shark fin aerial

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by DutchHybrid, Aug 7, 2017.

1. DutchHybrid

DutchHybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thinking about to swap the factory aerial of my Prius v for a shark fin type aerial . The HU has factory GPS and satellite radio together with AM/FM. Is the GPS and satellite aerial combined in the base of the factory aerial on the roof? If not, where in the vehicle are they located.
    Any suggestions on a shark fin aerial suitable for my Prius V?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The GPS antenna is in the dash. The satellite radio is in the base of the existing antenna. You will lose range on FM and AM with the shark fin adapter (assuming it's the type that screws on to the base), but the GPS and Satellite won't be affected. I had one and resold it later.

3. DutchHybrid

DutchHybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for your reply.
    So GPS and satellite radio won't be effected by the shark Fin. Only signal lost with AM/FM.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had thought about getting a kewl-looking SharkFin Antenna for my Gen II, but speaking as an Amateur Radio Operator (Extra Class - FCC US call-sign K1WD) of 25+ years, and chatting with other "Hams" I am firmly of the opinion that when it comes to receiving weak signals, as far as antennae are concerned SIZE MATTERS! :eek: (…sound familiar?) (…oh, and location too!) My advice is not to bother with the kewl little shark-fins! (…well, you did ask!)

DutchHybrid likes this.