1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sharkfin (radio reception) for 2010 or newer models?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by riva, Feb 21, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow. I've never heard anybody complain about the visual aesthetics of Visual Garage's shark fin. Black colored tape isn't good enough for you? The 3M automotive tape is 1mm thick. I don't know what you expected. Again, nobody else is complaining. As for the tape protruding, you may have received a bad batch. Mine is completely flush with the base of the antenna.

Again I think your expectations are all wrong. You can't expect a Lexus or BMW quality antenna from an aftermarket product. Remember, the aftermarket add-on has to be large enough to fit above the base of the existing antenna, so it'll never have the low-profile design of a Lexus antenna. However, for what it is, the VG antenna looks much better than stock and I've been complimented on it many times. Several other people have not even noticed it, and that's probably the best compliment.

If you are so picky about aesthetics I doubt you'll be very satisfied with Beat Sonic's as well. In fact, Beat Sonic's shark fin is even bigger and more conspicuous than VGs. But I hope it all works out for you.

2. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^ The problem with Beat Sonic is that it looks less OEM than Visual Garage. The base of the Beat Sonic is huge. A picture tells a thousand words: I tried to be as to scale as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. riva

riva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi macmaster05 - Glad the VG one is working out for you. No argument from me on your comments. I am picky... and you are probably correct in that I probably wouldn't be pleased with the Beat Sonic either. Anyway, guess I'll take this as an $81 lesson learned....

PS: I did mention in my prior post that the Beat Sonic was larger.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :) So what are you doing? Sticking to stock?

6. riva

riva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oooo I love that Prius.

I think you'll be very happy with the Lexus fin. It'll be more pricey but it is the real deal.
    Keep us updated! :)

8. kmkremer

kmkremer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Riva:

I'm very interested. Please keep us posted.

1 person likes this.
  9. practica

practica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Questions to me are:
    Does it interfere with the satellite antenna in the existing base covered over?
    Does removing 3M tape rip off the paint? (there's something at 3M seemed to say has to be ground off with a power tool, i.e. won't even lift off , desired for attaching trim reliably -- not very clear; that tape made for side moldings etc., but lots of different 3M technical products).
    How does attachment hold up to automatic car wash brushes? (at least the existing antenna is removable). Hard for "easily reversible" and reliable here to be consistent, would seem to require a choice.

10. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    1) No. It is "transparent" and will not interfere with the satellite reception. At least it didn't on mine.

2) Do you mean if you don't like it and want to take it off? No, I had to remove mine because I stupidly put it on crooked. I called the manufacturer and they sent me a new double sided tape gasket and the original tape came off easily with some monofilament line to start with and a plastic putty knife for most of it. I tried to mostly remove the tape from the sharkfin as I figured if I scratched it it was no big deal, but it came off very easily. Residue was just foam and sticky stuff that came off easily with alcohol. In fact, you can probably make the removal much easier by putting some alcohol on the outside of it. I didn't do that.

Edit: I forgot to answer about the automatic car wash. I have no idea because I have never used an automatic car wash. The only thing I can say is that I had mine on for more than 20,000 miles, in driving rainstorms, and one hurricane when it was parked outside (I felt it more prudent to garage my convertible) and it was fine.