1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sharp Introduces Nine New LED Lamps for Home Use

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by ken1784, Jun 11, 2009.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Phillips makes them. I have seen them at Home Depot.

Tom

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Tom, I will take a look,

Icarus

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A lot of the track light fixtures are stepped down to 12v and incorporate rheostats. I have yet to find ANY track light LED's that are dimmable, but I'd love to hear of a source. The Home Depot Par 38's put out the equivalent brightness of a 25 watt incandescent, and the beam is about 50% narrower than a regular par. Same with the Walmart jobbies ... well ... maybe they're a bit brighter. Maybe next year .... who knows.

4. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LEDs don't work well with standard dimmers. This is because LEDs require a minimum voltage to operate, while standard dimmers do phase conduction control on a sine wave, which means that the voltage is too low for most of the dimming range. You end up with "off, off, still off, FULL ON!"

For LEDs you want PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) dimmers. A PWM dimmer always uses full voltage, but varies the ration of on to off time (the pulse width). Any of the standard 12V LED lamps will work with PWM dimming. The packaging says that they won't work with dimmers, but that's for standard dimmers. Replace your 12V transformer with a 12V PWM unit and they will work fine. I have two of the Phillips units running as a test right now.

Tom

5. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to my local HD today (aka "the evil empire!) and asked the friendly sales guy if they had any LED bulbs. "NO". was all he said. Walking down the aisle, I found the LED bulbs. Of course they didn't have anything other than candellabras, and Par bulbs. No conventional bulbs.

The price is coming down quite quickly however.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just despair about the build quality-control issues where they'll
    inevitably be made in quantity as the prices drop.
    _H*

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Look at the (lack of) quality with LED Christmas lights. :mad:

Tom

8. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the other hand, QC has come a long way with CFLs. Remember the day when they were ~$20. Now they are $.99 for a 4 pack. If LEDs come down the same way, even if the defect rate is near that of CFls then they will gain acceptance.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I certainly do remember. I bought a bunch of the early ones for our shop, and they failed very quickly. That put me off CFLs for a long time. Now they seem to work very well, and I happily use them in many of our fixtures.

About two years ago I swapped out the cabin lighting in our boat with LED modules. The power savings makes a huge difference when you are running on battery power.

Tom

10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    there's a ton of them on EvilBay

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do the PWM's run, cost wise? Are they more bulky? or are they small enough to fit with existing fixtures.

12. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please take a look the Sharp press release again on the top page.

"The model DL-L60AV LED Lamp features an Adjustable Color Function that enables users to change the color of the white light emitted from the lamp using an accessory remote control, an industry first for an LED lamp. Users can select from seven different shades of white ranging from a pleasing warm white to a cooler daylight white to match the weather, the season, time of day, purpose, or other preferences. This model also features a built-in Dimmer Function to adjust brightness. Together, these features allow users to select the illumination they like best to complement a diverse range of interior settings by using a single remote control to change the color and brightness of the light."

The standard DL-L601N/L (3,980 JPyen) is not suitable for an external PWM control.
    The DL-L601N/L (5,480 JPyen) can work with an external PWM control.
    The DL-L60AV (7,980 JPyen) comes with remote control card which controls both colors and brightness itself.

Anyway, I just replaced 12W CFL with following one for my home today.
    It is used for my entrance hall lighting, 18 hours a day.
    The specification is...
    electric consumption: 4.1 W
    life: 40,000 hours
    lumen: 240 lm (40W tungsten equivalent)
    price: 3,680 JPyen

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yikes, that'd be a bit over $40 a piece U.S. after sales tax ... are you satisfied with the amount of brightness ... being equivalent to 40 watts incandescent ? How wide an angle does the light spread. I'm finding under 33° to be pretty typical ... which is kind of narrow.

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The home depots around here have various LED bulbs, they've actually have them for several months now but they are very pricey. And their incandescent equivalent was not very much from what I remember. Prices ranged from (if I remember) $30 up to $80. They had ones for high hats, regular shaped bulbs like the one Ken posted a pic of, candelabras and those plug in type ones that look like halogen bulbs...

15. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The reality is the price needs to drop to ~$10 to begin to make major inroads. Even us off gridders who pinch every lumen out of every kwh aren't going to give away $40 to to save 10 watts. For us it is ten times more cost effective than those of you on grid.

Pretty tough to pay back the 10 watts if you are only paying $.10-.15 kwh. By the time the LEDs are dead, the price should be near zero. Unfortunately the early adopters pay the price.

16. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a couple of LED light bulbs ~10 years ago. At that time, they were ~6 leds in a glass bulb, assemble nearly by hand as a cottage industry. I got them in 120vac and 12vdc versions. I bought them as beta units, and they really didn't serve much purpose as they put out suc tiny amounts of light.

Still use them, one as a outside light on the porch to sweep the snow off, and the other in a mud room on the 12vdc wiring in the off grid house.

17. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do Led's suffer from cold start issues like sfls? At-30 my cfls take a long time to fire.

18. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A 5 watt LED at $.15kw will burn ~200 hours, or ~1300 hours for ~$1. At 4 hours a day it would take just about a year to burn $1 worth of electricity. (assuming my math is any where near right!) So replacing a $1 cfl (~15watt)with a $10 LED of similar lumen to save 75% of the power net/net would take ~15 years (give or take) to pay off. Compare that to how quickly it pays off with a 60 watt incandescent bulb, at say a $.50 cost. Instead of 15 years, it would take ~ 1.5 years. So, one can see that getting below the $10 threshold is essential.

(Assuming energy prices go up over the life of a LED, the savings come sooner of course)

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They shouldn't, unless there is something in the drive circuit I don't know about. There is no arc to fire up.

In my experience in other applications, LEDs get brighter at cold junction temperatures and constant current. But Vf also increases, and depending in the particular drive circuit, this could cause the current (and therefore light output) to decrease.

20. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuzzy,

Thanks, I confess I know less than nothing about LED lighting. Like I said, I hope the price falls >$10 for conventional looking bulbs soon. In our off grid house, lighting is the major loads, so cutting our lighting loads down by ~75% will be huge.