1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

She's dead, Jim!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by miwaku, Oct 9, 2006.

1. miwaku

miwaku New Member

Got into "Smudge" yesterday morning, started her up, and got the Master Warning triangle, the Check Display warning (meaning "look at the MFD"), and my fuel gauge started flashing, first one bar for 6-7 seconds, then all ten (I'd just filled up).

She seemed to work just fine when moving her back & forth a little to see if there was a transaxle problem, but no matter how many restarts, same behavior. Checked all the fuses, etc, no luck. At one point when putting her in D I got an error along the lines of "Place engine in Park; battery will not charge in Neutral" or some such, even though the transmission display indicated I was in D. This error didn't come up every time, though.

Took her around the block and the battery kept draining to one bar, with no ICE kicking in! Finally, she just rolled to a stop. Battery stayed at one bar, ICE wouldn't recharge or drive the car. ABS and Road Condition lights came on, as well, and the Ready light flashed a couple of times, then went out!

I pushed her to the curb and just this morning called Toyota Service (this always happens on a Sunday).

They're coming to take her in, and I'll let everyone know the Diagnosis. Here's a pic (sorry for the night view):

[​IMG]

2. ribbs

ribbs New Member

I put my money on a fuel supply problem of some sort - fuel pump, maybe.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good that you have a picture and a good documentation of the situation. I remember when I had an issue with Priapus, I made sure to document every detail, every step, and every response. In the end, I didn't need all that detail, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I'm not technical or mechanical in those matters so I won't make any speculation as to what the problem might be. Be sure to keep us posted though.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

this should be interesting, as it could be one of many things. Do keep us posted on the cause and if you can get the codes that caused it. tia

5. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I once had the "Place engine in Park; battery will not charge in Neutral" sign, and it happened to be that the driver's door was not properly closed!

6. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Oct 9 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]330031[/snapback]</div>
    I had the same message 3 days back .....even in my case driver door was not properly closed...

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Get the DTC when they scan the car!

8. miwaku

miwaku New Member

Ok, the Dx is apparently that the #10 wire coming from the junction box to the ICE's ECU was loose. Because of this, the ICE would not come on, and the battery slowly ran down.

Took them a few hours to run it down, but it seems to be ok now.

Yes, the door WAS open when I got that error. Good catch!

Thanks, everyone!

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad it was such a simple solution and such minor problem. I'm sure it was nerve wracking waiting for the fix.

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's just one injector down, that shouldn't have caused the
    engine to not run at all... just like crap, throwing "misfire # 1"
    and "too lean" codes.
    What were your codes??
    Where exactly was the wire loose, and are we actually talking about
    the one labeled "#1O" [i think that's "oh", not "zero"] or something