1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shift to Synthetic or Longer Interval Oil?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tposs001, Mar 24, 2012.

1. tposs001

tposs001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hey guys Its about time to change my Oil again, its been 3k Miles.
    I'm at 102000 miles on my 02 Prius. I have no idea what oil he puts other than the standard oil used on a $20 oil change, non synthetic of course.

I was wondering if any of you guys made the shift to Synthetic?
    If so was it better mpg wise?
    I would like to shift to an oil that I don't have to be pending every 3k miles, but at a longer interval, like some BMW's that do it every 12k Miles.

It would have to be at a dealer/oil change place since I'm not mechanically inclined.
    Any recommendations?

2. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Definitely synthetic makes more sense in terms of long term cost savings. I've been using it as long as I've owned cars (which isn't long lol, the past 9 years or so).

I haven't changed my oil yet (just bought the car a couple of thousand miles ago), but I will certainly be putting synthetic in it.

BMWs and other high performance engines use zero weight oils to maximize fuel efficiency, as the higher the weight, a general (but small) decrease in fuel efficiency follows.

In our engines though, Atkinson cycle, I'd stick to what the engineers specified, and at least change it every 7k miles or so.

Whatever you end up choosing, do not allow them to overfill the oil. 3.5 quarts (3.3 liters). It is very difficult to remove extra oil, easier to add more later. Ideally, on the dipstick, should measure 1/4 below the full mark.

3. tposs001

tposs001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What grade oil should be used?
    I have been reading up on Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy

4. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In ours, it seems that everyone is using 5w30, based on a quick internet search.

5. tposs001

tposs001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok 5w30 synthetic it is.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30

That one sounds good. Any input is appreciated. :cool: