1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

shifter, could have been, should have been.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by prius_deep, Apr 7, 2019.

1. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Jim, some ideas to think about.

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would almost put that on my Gen 3, just because. I’d just have to find a way to move the rear view camera.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never seen so many people driving at night without their lights on as i have in florida

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On the back would sure free up some space, but it would seriously dirty up the air coming off the back of the car. I'd hate to think what it would do to gas mileage at Interstate speeds.

5. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks a lot like the Jaguar one that came out in 2009 on the XF. It's cool to see it rise when you start the car, but it gets real old real fast. Funny thing is that they're ditching the rotary for a more standard one in the new XE.

I think most of the current-gen Aston Martins have push-button gear selectors. I sat in a Vantage when at the dealer a little while back and assumed everything was paddle shift like the F-cars until I saw the buttons.

/r/FloridaMan

Mount it on the hatch like on a Baja truck. Hell, with the AWD give it a lift, a roof cage, and some big tires.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Next leg of my work tour. I turned in the rented Fusion hybrid this morning, flew across the country, and rented a Pacifica minivan. All they had left. Similar rotary knob shifter. Not thrilled, but I don't have much driving planned.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Randall Gradle

Randall Gradle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are two exceptions that would apply to the Prius automatic transmission: 1 park is not in the shift pattern, 2 the Prius planetary gear arrangement does not meet the multiple gear definition needed for additional breaking force below 40 mph. I'm sure there are different ways of viewing the laws application but these look like gaping loopholes to me. Reverse down and left would be an adequate touch reminder with drive up right and B up left would meet the clockwise requirements as long as neutral was the middle position.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Which part of the best coast are you working out of this week?

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been a participant long enough that I can remember " The Prius Team " and their direct active involvement with this site.
    I think it is too bad that it seems they have abandoned that connection. They would often be the definitive answer to questions.

I kind of feel like I participated through the "Golden Era" of Prius Chat, through the time 2009-2010, with the release of the Gen. 3. There were a lot of regulars, and a lot of posters that were Prius ownership pioneers, that seem to of lost interest today. Then with the release of the Gen. 3, you had a LOT of interest and excitement about that evolution. With "veterans" interested in the changes, and "newbies" buying a Prius for the first time. It made for a lot of activity and discussion.

You literally had people tracking the shipment of their Gen 3, from Japan to America. There was a unwritten contest to be one of the first in your region to own a Gen 3.
    It was a really dynamic time, for Prius and for Prius Chat.

I think Gen 4, and Prime has been a success, but I don't think it matched the near "celebration" level that seemed to accompany the release of the Gen 3.
    The Gen 3, was anticipated in a manner that is rare with most vehicles today. It all culminated nearly simultaneously in North America, with Honda's release of the new Insight. And I think the two companies, and models both enjoyed the attention the inevitable comparisons created.
    I have always thought the Insight suffered a bit unfairly. But for price and technology, it just couldn't compete with an entry level Gen 3 Prius.

11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) P is in the shift pattern, it goes PRND right down the pattern. P is a separate button, but forms part of the pattern.
    2) It does not say it has multiple gears. (it doesn't) It says it has multiple gear ratios, which it does, as M/G1 spins to provide them.
    3) you would also need to ignore "movement from neutral position to forward drive position shall be clockwise" if you put D above N. (unless they are to the left of the steering wheel)

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    LA this week, covering for others who got to go to LV...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How many people actually push the "P" button before shutting down your Prius. I usually just put my foot on the brake and push the ON/OFF button and it goes into park and shuts down with one move. I have told non Prius owners that driving a Prius is about as lazy as it can get. :)

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I use P when ''idling" in my Prius, but not at shut down. I always avoid N.

Data Daedalus and jerrymildred like this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only use P if I'm going to be perusing the statistics before shutting down.

17. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I still prefer my original suggestion of a compact "fly by wire" version of the current conventional Toyota mechanical cable operated gated shifter mounted high on the dash to the left of the info screen close to the driver's line of sight to the road. A one inch or 25mm protrusion out of the dash would likely meet impact safety requirement, although the driver would already be protected by the steering wheel mounted airbag.

Again, that would free up a large space on the console for other uses.

In my experience with ergonomic design, the simplest and most familiar placed control within the easiest position of reach is nearly always the best design.

Also, no mater how simple the control is designed for the person with the lowest mental and physical dexterity, there will be some who will still be so handicapped in the performance of the task.

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    As long as it's big enough to operate while wearing medium gloves (think northern climate market) the rest of it sounds great!

19. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen videos of the early Apollo Command Module attitude control micro joystick which takes approximately a cylinder of 2 inches of height by 2 inches in diameter being operated by the gloved hand of a space suited astronaut. Only the thumb and index finger was needed to fully control it. The total access area was only 5 inches in diameter by two inches deep.

20. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wish they could have done this stock. I think this setup is more ideal than the other push button shifters for Prius out of Japan. This was hard to find. Damn it's nice :) IMG_20190415_205544758.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Data Daedalus and orenji like this.