1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifter knob change?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by ImeanGreen, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's one if you are interested.
    2010 Prius Shift Knob | eBay

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So, I wanted one even smaller than the stock one on my "v", since I don't use it that often. It is a knob from an English tax disc holder, drilled and tapped to M6, with the shaft shortened by about 1/2"

Attached Files:

B.Squid and Mike500 like this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the problem with dissatisfaction with Prius shifting knobs, either too big or too small, or aesthetically unpleasing is because they really aren't shifter knobs.

The Prius doesn't really shift. So the knob, dongle, or whatever you want to call it, and the whole "shift pattern" is really just a 1/2 hearted nod to standard vehicles. When really all the Prius is doing is inputting your request through the movement of the dongle.

Which is kind of why I like the push button shifter replacements. They just make better sense to me.

The dongle or knob, whatever size or design turns into simply a 1/2 hearted, regular ICE vehicle transmission reminiscence.

I think Toyota needs to "Go Before"...and either go 100% button or 100% shifter, but not leave most of us with this half developed looking shifter abortion.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius shifter is like a joystick on an early game controller like the old Atari 2600.

I'm thinking of replacing the big and thick shift knob, even the smaller one on my Prius"v" with a thin tapered joystick knob found on a video game controller. Then, you can readily shift the car with your index finger. In the old days, you operated a telegraph key by tapping it with your index finger while holding the edge between your thumb an your middle finger. That appears to be a better control movement than using ALL of your fingers with a large shift knob. That grip was required, when a not of force was necessary to move a manual shifter.

It readily appears that future Prii will have their shifters placed where the shifter is on the Prius"v."

The electronic shifter reminds me too much of the push button shifter of the 1950's on the Edsel and some Chrysler products of that era.

6. PearlJammer

PearlJammer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like the golf ball.

7. PearlJammer

PearlJammer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Like it!

8. Friend of Bill W.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm searching the world over and M6 x 1.0 shift knobs are not in high demand as I have found zero.

Laughmore likes this.
  9. jdw

jdw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I put an arcade joystick ball on mine. Look up "White Sanwa LB35 Balltop" on amazon. The threads match and it's the perfect size. They come in other colors too, even transparent colors. The white is less than $10.

IMG_0002.JPG

#29 jdw, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    KingNobodyPinky likes this.
  10. KingNobodyPinky

KingNobodyPinky New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Will a custom shift ball normally used for an automatic transmission usually fit on a 2011 toyota prius?

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It all depends on the threading on the shift knob.

12. bostonbruins8703

bostonbruins8703 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I know this is a very old post, but did you managed to change out the lights from the shifter knob? I've been debating about doing mine for a while. Feel like its to poorly lit.

13. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ironwood prius v shift knob.JPG
    This is my "slammed" Prius v desert ironwood shift knob with a contrasting black panel. The shaft was cut down a half inch and rethreaded.