1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifting "click"

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by schiffy, Oct 1, 2019.

1. schiffy

schiffy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Apologies that I'm not using the right terminology, but I have a 2014 base PiP (original owner). It has 144K. I feel like it is no longer making that "noise" when I shift either into Drive or Reverse unless I have just turned on the car...i.e. if I were to pull over, say, and put it into Park (but leave the car on), it doesn't make that "shifting click" when I put it into Drive or Reverse again. I cannot for the life of me remember if it used to or not. So just trying to pick the brain of another 2014 PiP driver. Am I losing my mind and it never made that sound except for when you initially turned on the car and put it into gear? Or is something potentially wrong? (The correct "D" or "R" indicator shows up on the dash whether it makes the sound or not, and I have no issues driving the car.)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't either. :cool: i know there is the loud click when you put it in park. i'll check this morning and get back to you.

3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Are you thinking of the automatic door lock sound? The locks can be programmed to activate for different conditions. Maybe you lost your settings.

#3 Pluggo, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  4. schiffy

schiffy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay, so I just had to run out and I tried to pay attention. My car is definitely making an audible "click" (I believe someone accurately referred to it as the "solenoid snap when going in and out of park"...thank you for the terminology!) when I am in park and go into drive/reverse/etc., and then again when I hit the park button upon reaching my destination. So I think it's just that the car doesn't make that sound when you're already in drive but hit the brake and go into reverse (like when you're adjusting in a parking space, etc.)...and I guess I never really noticed before, so I thought maybe it always had made that noise in that situation and now wasn't.

If I notice anything else odd related to this I'll come back and update.

bisco likes this.
  5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, I wrote that about the solenoid snap then changed my answer because I thought it was wrong. The door locks are much louder.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    also, if you're on an incline, and don't use the parking brake, the noise might be a bit louder when you shift out of park because the pawl is pressed against the teeth.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The parking/unparking is done by a small motor, not a solenoid. It's something more of a zip than a snap. In my (non-plug-in) Gen 3, I don't easily hear it, unless I'm straining to.

[​IMG]

#7 ChapmanF, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    QuantumFireball likes this.