1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifting into neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HaroldW, May 6, 2014.

1. bentbow

bentbow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FINALLY, someone who understands how neutral works. now i would agree with you that perfect gliding in D is better than N BUT its far too much work keeping the pedal in the sweet spot, so shifting to N [ONLY at slow speeds in safe areas like streets] is much easier

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Keep in mind pulse and coast will never be as efficient as pulse and glide. (done right) You want to just barely power the wheels to extend the glide and use up battery power. N does none of that.

3. bentbow

bentbow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    coast = no power input? glide = very little power input?

so for a long flat street glide is better? but wouldn't that only be if i want to continue forward?

I was thinking of a long flat street where there is a traffic light ahead [or stop sign] and i want to keep as much speed in case it turns green but without any power input in case it is still red. I have a 3/4 mile and 1/2 mile stretch like this every day. I TRY to feather the pedal for perfect coast in drive but thinking of using neutral instead

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I too coast to lights if my sightline is limited. Where i know a stop sigh is coming and no one is behind me to get annoyed, I glide for 3/4 of a mile 60 to 0.