1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shifting to Park on long lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Harold Selassi, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek: I was joking. Don't take it too serious. Sorry! I'm not a fanboy. You could tell me you're not happy
    with my comment without the name calling :whistle:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

When stopped I don't see it making any difference what gear you're in. The only issue is coasting in neutral, then you're not charging the battery. But there's no problem with shifting to Neutral. There are people doing it though, Wayne Gerdes of CleanMPG has a tutorial on the web where he's instructing someone to shift to Neutral, while rolling. Personally, I just leave it in Drive, most all the time.

I'm not sure why you'd need to shift to Neutral to "relax"?? I know on a conventional car with auto, the engine tends to smooth out in Neutral, but with the Prius (especially once it's warmed up enough to shut down at stops), I don't believe there's any difference.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This makes more sense than posts I've read about "pulse and glide" and "feather the throttle." Regardless, there are some solid physics behind when "N" makes sense:
    • avoid converting potential energy into traction battery charge
    For maximum efficiency, there are only a few times when the traction battery should be charged:
    1. When the engine has to run
    2. When the car speed needs to be held constant or reduced
    Otherwise, let the engine charge the traction battery as a by-product of normal operation.

Still, I will never fault anyone for just using "D" in normal driving. Shifting into "N" is really an advanced technique and needs practice. It is best done in coordination with using cruise control to manage the speed. This could be automated or better yet, added to the Prius control laws.

Bob Wilson

4. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd advise you to not shift to neutral. Your battery is not charging when in neutral. I had previously started a thread about the dreaded Low Battery massage and loud beep coming on in the car wash while it was in neutral. It put me in a panic!

5. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not sure what could be bad to put into park ... I do that all the time ... make sure you are completely stopped of course.

I found pushing break pedal for 2-3 minutes longer if is train crossing just uncomfortable ... I used to do this with "manual" automatic as well and if you watch most if not all taxi driver will do the same

Another benefit is that the car will increase the line voltage to charge the 12V battery from 13.6-8V to 14.6-8V this could be a real benefit for shorter commute.

I can not see why Prius C would have a problem with P I am doing this with my third prius ...