1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shocks and Struts

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kwhubby, Nov 26, 2018.

1. kwhubby

kwhubby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,
    I'm about to hit 100k miles, and my original shocks on my 2012 prius C are very noisy and bumpy.
    I'm trying to figure out a suitable replacement model. I live on a very bumpy pot hole filled road, and want something softer than original.

Any ideas?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm at 235K on my Gen2 Original shocks... There still quiet and surprisingly smooth ride considering... Maybe it's time? I've been looking at the Ebay ones that are pre-assembled with Spring and $100 a pair. In looking at them in person they're much higher quality than original ones...

3. zen_

zen_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I would avoid the cheap strut assemblies like the plague unless your vehicle is on it's last legs, or you're just fixing it at lowest cost to sell. Even the name brand ones from Monroe and KYB have problems.

The best option is the use an OE, or good quality aftermarket strut (like KYB) with the original spring, and an OE strut mount if that needs to be replaced. The problem with the aftermarket assemblies is that while they are easier and safer to use, they really do cheap out on the springs and strut mount to get to a price point. I had rear Monroe Quick-Struts wear out after 35K miles on a CR-V, one of the fronts had a mount go bad in under 10K, and one of them didn't even have a bumper or bellows installed out of the box. The quality is just terrible on those things...never again.

4. kwhubby

kwhubby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Forgive me I have limited understanding of shocks and struts. I'm expecting to have a mechanic do this, so I assume pre-assembled or not doesn't really matter in terms of safety or ease for an equipped shop.

I'm really trying to get a softer ride, is that even possible on a Prius C or is there no way to adjust or soften this at all with available parts?

5. kwhubby

kwhubby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Years later... I forgot about my thread. But I finally got my struts, shocks, and control arms replaced. They used KYB assemblies with new springs/mounts. Woops. The car seems to have effectively lifted nearly an inch, but ride seems even stiffer than before. No more bouncing but potholes and bumps are loud and jarring. :(

Jesse Bechtold and PriusCamper like this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for update... Nice to have a glimpse into the art of Prius tuning. :)

Jesse Bechtold likes this.
  7. Jesse Bechtold

Jesse Bechtold New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    So what caused it to be lifted more? I lifted mine 40mm with strut spacers but I wonder if I could get another inch?

iPhone ?

8. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The very fact that they are new is why there seems to be a lift in ride height.

Give it 2-3 more years and they will loosen up and sag back to stock.

This happend on a sable I had and replaced with KYB, I miss that car but not the gas station.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Jesse Bechtold likes this.