1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shopping and torn.. Loaded 2009 or less loaded 2010?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by P1Ally, Sep 17, 2012.

?
  1. 2009 Prius

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 2010 Prius 2

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. P1Ally

P1Ally Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm currently in the market for a used Prius. We're selling our minivan and downsizing. I'm completely torn though. I want to get a prius that either has a long extended warranty, or a prius that's still under the 3/36k so I can buy a warranty from a toyota dealer online.

I know many people are anti-warranty, but I'm jinxed. Anything that can go wrong with my vehicles DOES. I bought a certified used Honda Odyssey (supposed to be reliable, right?) and it has had over $7K worth of warranty work over the course of 1 year. I'm getting a Prius with a warranty.

Here's the thing.. I can buy a 2010 Prius 2 with just the basics, or a 2009 Prius touring with a backup camera, etc etc everything they came with. What's the best choice? Is one more reliable than the other? Any issues with the second gen? I love the look of the 3rd gen way more, but I also like bells and whistles. What's the best way to go?

2. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are they both under 36,000 miles? Because its my understanding you cannot buy Toyotas extended warranty unless its still under the 3/36k warranty.

3. P1Ally

P1Ally Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2009 is certified, and I can buy the extended vehicle service contract. 2010 is at 30k and only 33 months old.

4. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok.

So this definitely applies to me because I just went through the same thing (well almost). I found a 2008 base model that I really liked. 55k miles (out of the bumper to bumper but still under the remaining 5/60k powertrain warranty). I almost bought it until....

I found a 2007 Level 5 (nav, JBL, smart key, new tires with extra set of winter tires/rims) with 53k miles.

I went for the loaded, 1 year older one. In my case I am unable to obtain the Toyota extended warranty but I still have the remaining 10/100k hybrid component warranty. After I drove the Level 5 I couldnt go back to the 1 year newer Level 2. Im LOVING the bluetooth and extra fun stuffs that come with the Level 5 - ultimately it increases my driving enjoyment and satisfies my adult ADD (gadgets!)....lol....YMMV :D

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I voted for the 09. It's a tough call as the Gen 3 is a superior car and I like its looks better as well.

However, since it sounds like reliability is of concern, perhaps the 09 being the last model of a Gen 2 (so most bugs were worked out) vs. '10 being 1st year of a new generation might make the 09 a better choice. And you're getting more gadgets w/the 09 referenced.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i was in the same position-- kindof

2006 Prius 5 vs 2010 Prius 2

I went with the 2010 because i really like the redesign, the gas milage is higher, i should get more out of it if i need to resell it and i can always add the gadgets later... you can add gadgets, but you cant subtract years.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you intend to keep the car forever then 1 year isn't going to make a difference. The 2010 is a bit more efficient & should need less maintenance. IMO no problems with either Model Year. Many "Touring" cars are misrepresented. Make sure it is a Touring before paying for a Touring. If you are going to be happier with a carload of gizmos then the loaded 2009 sounds like a better fit.

cwerdna likes this.
  8. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 and we have a 2001, a 2010, and soon a 2012 Plugin. My car came with GPS, nav, Bluetooth etc. But I installed upgraded audio which is magnitudes better than the even the JBL package in my dads 2010. The gadgets in the gen 2 are starting to show their age. 2010 would be my choice

Nexus 7 ? 2

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. Gen 3 has no belts, so that's one less item. Also Gen 3 has 10K mile oil change intervals but IIRC, requires synthetic oil. Gen 2 has 5K mile OCI.
    This! It's very annoying.

If the car has 15" wheels and tires, then it's not a Touring. Tourings came w/16". It's pretty unlikely a Touring owner decided to ditch their 16"s and swap for 15".

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definately a personal choice, both great cars. take 'em for a spin and make your decision based on your preference. all the best!

11. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If its not asking too much, how much are the two cars? If the newer one is the same price as the loaded one or the older one is priced to sell for a song and a dance, well this all makes a difference.

12. jenzfc

jenzfc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We definitely need more details to give you an advice.

13. Funk-O-Meter

Funk-O-Meter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I happen to like the interior of the gen 2 more and I went with a later year gen 2 for that reason and because there should be less problems that have yet to be worked out vs a first year gen 3 which was a redesign. I'd go for the loaded gen 2. I did like some aspects of the gen 3 redesign however. New battery and no belts. Either way you'll be happy I'm sure.

14. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree the gen 2 interior is better, much more simple and less cluttered IMHO. But the gen 3 is a better car, better mpgs, more comfortable seats, more powerful

Nexus 7 ? 2