1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shopping for a 2nd gen prius, what should I look out for?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Lienme, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Lienme

Lienme New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I'm looking for a 06-09 2nd generation prius as a first car, what should I look out for while I'm shopping around?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

nothing in particular, and everything in general. i would start by looking for a hybrid mechanic first.

hybrids have some very expensive systems, and we are in a bad time to be buying cars. you don't get much for your money.

Lienme likes this.
  3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The biggest thing to look for is a full maintenance and repair history. You want to see if it was regularly maintained and all recalls performed. It is also a good idea to reset the miles per gallon indicator and do a 30+ minute test drive including highway time. The miles per gallon for your test drive should be above 40. Also, look at the battery charge icon before, during, and after the test drive. It should stay between 5-7 bars most of the time unless you’re using air conditioning, and the number of bars should increase or decrease gradually. If the battery indicator goes quickly from 1 bar to 8 bars or vice versa, or if it stays at 1 or 2 bars without air conditioning running, there is probably an issue with the hybrid battery and you should avoid it. And especially if it’s pre-2008, double check that all the indicator lights on the dashboard work correctly. If they are blinking off, there could be a combination meter problem, which you don’t want.

FireLawdZuko and Lienme like this.