1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shopping for iPhone 7 or 7 plus

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 5, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

My iPhone 5s (64 GB, free 23.1 GB) can no long receive current Apple IOS upgrades. Looking at the specs, either an iPhone 7 (128 GB) or Plus, GSM (T-Mobile) would meet my requirements.

It looks like iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are running ~$300 on the used iPhone market aka. eBay or Amazon. The Apple refurbished store does not carry them. However, Best Buy lists two, 128 and 256 GB units.

Does anyone has another recommendation?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Surprisingly, one of the more dependable iPhone charging cords we have now, we found, draped over a guard rail along a trail. Definitely aftermarket.There's often this-and-that strewn about, by homeless dumpster divers.

We've got 5's (not 5s's), noticed the software updates dropped off, a year or two back. What are we missing though?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not have a "smart phone." My wife has the 5s and is not complaining. She has talked about getting a newer model, but the larger sizes have totally stopped her (thank you Apple designers).

I imagine, if they ever decide to downsize the newer models, she will be buying one.

For myself, I am not a luddite, but I would NOT want to carry around even a phone the size of the 5s. Just too big. I hate carrying around my small "dumb" flip phone.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the 5s is the same size as 5? IIRC it was with 6's the size increased?

I think my wife might be a good candidate for larger phone: we've both got 5's; she's got good distance vision but struggling with small text. Meanwhile, with my myopia, I'm fine.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Different for different people.

I have a LG Stylo 4.
    I know, it's not considered in the same "Smart Phone" class as an Iphone.
    But it's huge...and it comes with a stylus.
    IMO...it's a great "older person" smart phone. I love using the stylus to type things. And the fact that very big...is a plus to me.
    It's easier to see things, AND....more importantly...I think harder to lose. I'm NOT going to forget it's in my pocket. And when I put it down, it's like putting down a Tricorder from the original Star Trek series.

So OK.
    Many things most people would probably put in the negative column. But for me? It's a positive.
    And as far as technology goes?
    It does everything I want it to do. By today's constant new wave hitting the beach standards, it's already outdated, but I don't care.

At the time I did some investigating. When I went to get this cell phone, the "kid" who sold it to me said " Oh yeah, that was a great Cell Phone, 3 months ago ".
    So by his millennial standards, it was already outdated because it was 3 months old.

That type of constant obsolescence cycle is hard for me to fathom. Since I grew up with the same plastic "avocado" green phone wired into the wall throughout my entire childhood, adolescences and young adult hood.
    I can't keep up with what Cell Phone they are telling me everyone needs next. So I don't even try.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I think the tech plateau'd, quite a while back. Kinda like Prius lol. :sneaky:

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In my case, it is staying in the current IOS stream.

I have an offer for $335 including transfer of files and SIM for T-Mobile. A brick-and-mortar store, I'm tempted to keep their doors open. Monday comes soon enough.

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @ETC(SS) has a recent thread, and some thoughts...

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apple does have some 7's and 7-plusses in their bargain basement store.
    Brand-new in their iconic boxes.
    Being Apple, they make them a little harder to find.

Clearance Accessories for Mac, iPad, iPod Products and Accessories - Apple

Act now.
    Limited time offer.

My work phones are currently a 7+ and an 8 with the 7+ being my daily driver...and while they were not Apple's most successful phone in terms of things like tech and battery life, the seven is still a very capable phone.
    Like all things Apple, they age well.

The advantage of paying $400 for a phone that you can get used (or refurbished) for $200 is that it has an OEM screen and an OEM battery and maintains it's IP67 rating - and Apple guarantees it for a year....just like all of their other new stuff.
    Since the battery and the screen aren't the 7's strongest suits to begin with it makes sense to pay a little more up front and pocket the warranty - unless you're just buying it to use as a beater.
    If you have the phone delivered to the nearest Apple store (I think Huntsville has one) I'm "fairly sure" they will assist in getting you off the ramp and onto the strip.

I'm still trying to decide on what is going to be my very first personal iPhone, although I'm tempted to just say screw it and get either an Xr or an 11.

#10 ETC(SS), Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The iPhone 5s is still receiving updates, just not the latest iOS 13.0. I recently installed an iOS 12.4.2 update on my iPhone 5s, the latter used exclusively for supplementary navigation onboard my Prius. It’s so small, it sits BELOW the windscreen level in the corner and doesn’t impede my view of the road. Otherwise I’m using a much bigger iPhone 6s Plus for everyday communications.

iPad ? Pro

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A dark and stormy night, my iPhone 5s 'disappeared'. Perhaps when I slipped and fell on some wet leaves but it was not found anywhere. The local, 3d party iPhone store had a 128 GB unit that the middle Eastern owner offered for $350 but I'd earlier written down $325 for trading in the 5s and transfer of apps. I pointed to the $325 and we had a deal. A quick visit to the T-Mobile store and we're back online.

So the IOS is current and I'm reloading the Apps I actually use. Some legacy music is reloaded and the podcasts. All in all, relatively painless and though I paid about $75 more than from online web sites, I got a case, local warranty, and a promise of a free battery replacement. A fair deal for all.

Bob Wilson

#12 bwilson4web, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  13. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Iphone 7 are very reasonable now. I think I paid $230.00 on a promo less than 2 months ago.
    The phone is very nice but like what the gentleman said "electric me" its not for me so I hardly even take it with me. Ill let you know when I find a replacement soon. I miss my old pantech phone. After 10 years it up and died on me. its very small and thin perfect for dialing in and out. Pretty much have everything I need instead a smart phone its using 3G data on internet. I been criticize a few occasions about an upgrade. But I didn't mind. I love it and I miss the $12.00 a month payment.

#13 Classic Car Guy, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it will help, you can send me $12 a month. ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes local + service > mail order and cheaper price.

One of the things I (and everybody else) have always lauded the Apple for is the fact that there IS no more drama about losing stuff when you have to switch phones or if you lose your phone.
    Droids do this too, but my experience with my work phones (7s and 8s) is that its more seamless.

For most people the 7 is a DANG good phone and they’re still available NIB for >$400 through Apple.
    10% off that price for many (military, student, dot.gov.)

Anybody that spends more than that ain’t using the phone as a phone.....and different rules apply.

16. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay man who pulled out the plug there for a moment. :cry: