1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Short trips with p0a80?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by usermcawesomeuser, Apr 16, 2018.

1. usermcawesomeuser

usermcawesomeuser New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi all.

I have a 2004 Prius which has close to 234K miles on it. I bought it used about six years ago and I have driven most of the miles on this car.

The other day I got the red triangle of death, plus the symbol on the multifunction display that indicated something was wrong with the hybrid system. The dealer said I have code p0a80, plus p3000 and is recommending replacement of the hybrid battery, which will cost something like $3,400.

But I only spent $8,000 or so acquiring this vehicle six years ago, so I am thinking of letting this one sunset for parts and picking up another used vehicle. I am thinking I don't want a Prius this time, because most of my trips are especially short (usually 3 to 5 miles at most).

What I'd like to know is... I'm planning to take my time finding a replacement because rushing into a car purchase decision is a bad idea. Is it probably OK to just keep driving with this code for a week or two while I figure this out? And should I invest in an OBD II machine to clear codes occasionally if that may help me get another few weeks out of the car?

Thanks, all, for your advice.

2. usermcawesomeuser

usermcawesomeuser New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So far, so good. I am driving short trips, mostly on roads where the speed limit is 30 mph or lower.

After doing a bit more math, I decided to investigate replacing the battery. There’s a shop near me that does battery replacements; if it comes in at less than half the price of a Toyota battery from a dealer, I may go with the shop. I figure if I get two more years out of the car, that will work...

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    short trips are no problem, drive as much as you want.
    with refurbished batteries, the most important things are warranty, the ability of the company to stand behind it, whether parts and labor are included, and your tolerance for downtime.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes, if you want to clear the logged diagnostic trouble codes.

5. Tim Hawaii

Tim Hawaii New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm thinking about buying 2004 Prius. I only drive twice a week for 3-4 mile one way. About 1,500- 2,000 miles per year. Is this OK for the battery. Mileage doesn't matter to me.
    How long do you think the car will last if it has 75,000 miles?
    Thanks for any response.

#5 Tim Hawaii, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This driving pattern is not OK for hybrid system longevity. The battery will likely die soon due to age and lack of use.

Tim Hawaii likes this.
  7. Tim Hawaii

Tim Hawaii New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The following is from "The Car Care Nut" a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician on youtube. As long as the car is driven weekly you should be ok. If it sits for months at a time I would consider a gasoline only car for longevity.

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    More use is better, but at minimum keep the hv battery charged up- 5 to 7 bars. Your most likely scenario for limited use is that the 12V battery will not be properly charged and will eventually leave you stranded. Suggest either more operating time or if possible a 12V battery maintenance charger (trickle/tender).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.