1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shorted battery replaced, but still only works when jumped

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kjstultz14, Sep 7, 2021.

1. kjstultz14

kjstultz14 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi everyone.

I was jumping other car from my 2005 prius when the unprotected ends of the red and black cables on the Prius touched. It was for only about half a second, but after that, the Prius wouldn't start on its own and needed to be jumped.

After it's jumped, it works like normal, but once I turn it off, it won't turn back on.

The battery was old, so I decided to take it into the shop and replace it. Battery replaced...but still the same issue. No indication there is any power at all, and It needs to be jumped every time I need to use it.

Its got about 185k miles, and I don't want to invest time or money if its likely to cost it, but I was hoping it maybe is just a fuse? And if so, which one(s)?

First time posting so let me know if I need to provide more info or if I'm doing this wrong,

Thanks,
    --Kurt

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you jump it and it starts, I trust you are making the connection at the underhood jump point?

In a 2005, there is a long white assembly running down the left side of that fuse box, with metal fuse links visible inside it. Do those all look intact?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the battery was replaced (with a good battery), but the car has to be 'jumped' to be started, you may have smoked the fusible link at the (+) battery terminal, or you just have a bad connection somewhere on the (+) or (-) cables..