1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should a Dealer do this? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SteveWlf, Mar 9, 2013.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just had my '07 Gen2 in the local Toyota dealership last week for two outstanding recall items. No hassle and done within the alotted time, while I waited. Very happy with the service.
    Yesterday, when I went to open the hatch, I noticed the license plate frame had been changed to one with the dealer name/logo. I had just previously installed new plates so I knew that it was different and this was the first time this car had been to this local dealership.
    I'm not really upset since the old frame had no meaning to me since I had just purchased the car in another city and since they were very nice and attentive. However, if my service had been less than satifactory I might have raised this as an issue.

If I were to discuss this with the dealer, I might suggest that they offer to detail the the exterior in exchange for "allowing" the shop to change the frame. Some dealers do detail and it is a great service. At this visit, my car was already detailed since I had just purchased it.

If the frame they removed had been a personal or custom frame I would have to complain. Otherwise, good service is often the exception and this case may not be an issue.

Opinions??

Steve

2. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fascinating situation.
    To me it would boil down to whether the new frame could be considered an "upgrade"??

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If they'd disposed of the old parts I might be upset, but if they gave you the new frame and left the old one with you just in case, then no problem. Still a bit cheeky of them though.

4. CNCinCal

CNCinCal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They should have asked first, but considering you are happy with their service, I wouldn't sweat it. Too many, much more important, things to worry about. :)

sfv41901 likes this.
  5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd be pissed off quite frankly. They should have no right on a regular service to remove the plate frames you had on the vehicle and swap in their own which is advertising for them. The only time I could see them putting their advertising plate frames on is on a new car sale, not during a service.

PLSPUSH, sturgidson, billinmd and 4 others like this.
  6. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder what their reaction would be if I pulled into their service bay with a frame or bumper sticker that said "XYZ Toyota $uck$" ?? Freedom of Opinion if it is on my own car.
    However, from that "Point On" I wouldn't expect or trust their service.
    I'm not going to let this bother me, however, the only reason I have gone to the dealer is for Recall work and they welcome me for that. "Easy money for them" and my main concern is that they seem clueless on most hybrid problems the fall outside the norm.

Steve

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The first thing that I do, when I buy a NEW car, is to remove all evidence of dealer advertising.

THEY DON'T PAY ME TO ADVERTISE FOR THEM. Just chuck out the dealer's NEW liscense plate frame.

8. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I kinda agree with you there and that was my intial reaction, but then if they want to or have put it on my car, then I want to ask them "What is in it for ME". ie.. detail my car each time I come in for recall or other service. Like I said, in my experience, some dealer do a nice job in detailing while your car is waiting to be picked up. (I think that is when the plate frame gets changed)

Also, it is seldom that I drive a car that a dealer would be proud to have their logo on. Maybe this was their way of complimenting me on my car and the fact that it wasn't an eye sore.

Just my opinion FWIW

steve

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here an interesting question......if u just bought ur Prii, why were there outstanding recalls? A dealer can't sell u a car that has any outstanding recalls.

As for the plate frame.....I would like to know why they didnt ask 1st before removing the old 1.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Whenever I buy a new car I bring my own screwdriver just so I can remove my old plates and plateframe myself and do the swap. I also make sure to tell them numerous times in advance of ordering the car I do NOT want their advertising sticker/emblem on the back of the car.

danvee likes this.
  11. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased it from a private party. I get better deals that way. Seldom any problems and avoid the dealer markup.
    I have only purchased three new cars in my 60 years of car ownership. And of the 8 used cars I have purchased from dealers, I can't say that I was ever totally happy with the deals (always in hind-site, of course). Probably half of those ended up with hidden problems that I couldn't get them to correct. Only one time, when the tranny went out in less than 24hrs, did I at least get a choice of a replacement car. Private party or auction sales are my preferred way for shopping and purchasing a car. Sometime I get a good deal on a trade-in. Most of the time, tradins end up being lossers or part cars. Two of my Gen2s are "road kill" and the truth be known, I can make more on parting them out than fixing them up. However, I have a soft heart for them and most of the time I can see the potential to repair them in my good time (or failing that, still good for parts).

Steve

12. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That make sence. I assumed u bought it from a dealer

13. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I should also have pointed out that I got the VIN before I went to make and offer. With that I looked it up on TIS and found the two outstanding recalls.
    That was one of a couple issues that I pointed out the the sell as a safety issue (who was clueless). After walk around and 'clucking' about all the scratches in the paint, bumper dings, floor mats and one missing SKS fob,etc, I pulled out my print out of the Kelly BB Seller Price range and offered at just below the Fair price. She called her husband and he told her it was up to her. (I wouldn't suggest that type of inspection approach would work on all sellers. This one was to sell because her husband left it up to her to sell this car if she wanted to get a different one.)
    The Deal Was Done as I gave her a deposit, with a promise if the balance in 5 working days.

Steve

14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most people don't notice details like license plate frames, so they probably get away with this type of free advertising gimmick 99% of the time... Though in my opinion its kinda akin to a dog peeing on your tire to mark its territory.

Besides, license plate frames are ugly and unnecessary. If they did that to my car I'd not want to wait around for them to take 'em off and I'd be annoyed to have to take 'em off myself. When I go in for my recalls I'll make a specific request to ensure they don't do that. Then again, because I removed most all my badges and have no plate frames they'd probably not risk it.

etobia and SteveWlf like this.
  15. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I (will) LIKE that analogy!

Steve

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plate frames are illegal in mass., but the dealers still put them on anyway. i don't care either way, but when i go for my first inspection, they always get removed and tossed in the trunk.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is the 2nd frame swapping story I've seen. In the other the frames were from a dealer located very far away. I would say it is a very rare occurrence.

billinmd likes this.
  18. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's jut down right wrong to change them out.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, it's wrong. A next-service-at sticker on the window is OK, but a license plate implies purchase of the car so is a misrepresentation of your view of the dealership.

The big problem is that they removed an existing frame. Had there not been one it could have been considered a branded courtesy to protect the plate. So I'd remove it, then call them and speak to the service manager. Tell him that somebody at the dealership spent time removing the existing frame and installing a new one and that no matter how little time it took, it still means somebody somewhere will pay for something you didn't request. Tell him that you're never coming back, that they're a bunch of shysters and you'll tell everybody else they're a bunch of shysters. Then hang up, because you don't ever want to speak that dealership again.

Oh, and please name the dealership here so others can avoid them.

sturgidson likes this.
  20. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with this