1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should a Dealer do this? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SteveWlf, Mar 9, 2013.

1. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A dealer should not do anything to your vehicle unless it is something that the owner agreed to. The first thing I do when I buy a new car is remove the dealer advertising. That would be like letting one of our inept politicians put his campaign sign in your yard without your consent.

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am of the opinion that they should have asked you if they wanted to swap out the license plate frame but they may have been legally obligated to remove your existing frame.

Last year here in North Carolina a law was passed that the state name is no longer allowed to be covered by license plate frames. So when I went in to the dealership they legally were required to swap the frame with a smaller one that no longer covered the state name on the plate. I'm not saying this is the case for you but is something to consider.

This is a result of all the proliferation of "specialty" plates with different colors and stuff on them and the difficulty in recognizing state plates and the corresponding tags. Just letting you know there may have been a reason for the swap.

Happy Driving,
    Chris

3. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had so many headaches with Toyota and I get the good info on the big issues from this forum. I have had numerous problems with my Gen3 and I'd take my 2008 Prius back in a heartbeat! I don't hesitate to tell Toyota that I've been so disappointed in the 2010 Gen3 that I'm inclined to never buy a Prius again! The only reason I would consider it is because of the outstanding service and sucking it up that my dealership does to keep Toyota afloat.

To date my dealership has replaced the intake manifold; entire gps console which managed to change satellite radio stations when I tried to enter an address. ($4,000). So....my issues with this product are much larger than license plate advertising without my permission.

4. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is a great trade-off. You should get something in return for your advertising service, otherwise I'd take your 2nd tack: add "sucks" to the end of the dealership name. :)

5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd ask them how much time it takes to install their plate frames and how much their labor cost is. Then have them deduct that from your bill, because no doubt you ultimately ended up paying for them to put their plate frames on.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ** Mod Note **

This thread went way off topic attacking opinions of others. This has been cleaned up. The topic has merit, but I request that everyone remains on the topic of the thread itself rather than discussing how they obtained the car and why.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When my 2010 was in for service a few months ago, the dealer replaced the license plate frame. That said, it was the same dealer I bought the car from, and I was still wearing their original "worn out" plate frame (black and white, where the white silk-screen had completed worn off). Thus, they must have considered it an upgrade as I hadn't bothered to remove it. The new frame is chromed and black. It's not offensive and I don't dislike the dealership, thus I kept it. They're one of the few dealerships in the area that does NOT sticker their new cars.

When the 2004 was in for service last weekend (no frame), they didn't add one. Had they added that, I would have been a bit more offended, as that was a Carson/Dianne car.

For reference, AZ doesn't ban frames, but the upper portion cannot be so thick that it blocks the state name at the top of the plate. Blocked state names on the plate can be fined over $100, but I've rarely seen it enforced. Unfortunate too since AZ has over 50 plate styles. Combined w/ our influx of snow-birds during the winter months, it's really difficulty to determine which state the car is from! Many of the offending frames are dealer frames prior to the law change, or from out of state.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some Toyota dealerships could use a little improvement when it comes to things like ethics and customer relations. I've owned three Yotas in the past and one of the top two reasons that I'm a Toyota driver instead of a Toyota owner is because their dealership network.
    However (comma!!!) if you're happy with this dealer and they're honest? I think that I would let this go and just put whatever license plate frame you're happy with back on the car.
    There's really nothing to be gained from starting a pissing contest over this.

The next time you take the car in for service, park it and put a sticky note on the rear plate telling them to leave your property ALONE! Sometimes...in some states, you have to sign a hunk of paper in order to get wrenches swung on your car. Often it's actually a mechanic's lien cleverly disguised as a consent form.
    Just write "LEAVE MY ^%$#@! PLATE FRAME ALONE!" if you're that worried about it.

Otherwise?
    Like I said. If you've actually found a dealership that you're HAPPY with??? :eek:
    I think that I would just bring a screwdriver with me when I picked up the car. :)

YMMV

CNCinCal likes this.
  9. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In North Carolina, it is now illegal to have a license plate surround which partially covers the state name (standard license plate surrounds cover the lower half of the state name). Dealers now exchange the old thicker surrounds with the new thin surrounds. But, of course, they only have their own delarship surrounds.

Nice way to get some cheap advertising!

:)

10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Think of all the license plate frame makers who are going to be put out of work because of this Draconian law!!!