1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should battery charge while coasting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mobius, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Mobius

Mobius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I noticed that when taking my foot off the accelerator and coasting, the hybrid display indicates a bar to the left, as it does when braking, although to a lesser extent. Is this normal? I thought that the battery gets charged just on braking....

2. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mobius,

If you have removed your foot from the accelerator pedal, the vehicle will begin to regenerate electricity. While coasting, there will be some wind-down (as with any vehicle). Light application of the brake pedal will increase this effect.

Having said that, there is something I've seen referred to as pulse-and-glide. It seems to be a hypermiling technique unique to the Prius whereby one accelerates to speed and then, on a level surface, applies just enough pressure to the gas pedal to disable any regenerative braking, but not enough to request motive force from the electric motor. This is indicated on the screen by a complete absence of any arrows whatsoever whilst moving. I have never seen it personally, but I'm not much of a hypermiler.

So -- to answer your original question: Yes. It's normal. :D

1 person likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When you step on the brakes, the big traction motor turns into the capture device. You do indeed get electricity regenerated that way.

There's also a smaller motor. That's the one at play when you haven't stepped on the brake yet. It's what generates electricity as you drive. Normally, that energy comes from the engine. But when slowing, it can come from the road instead... which is what you were seeing.

1 person likes this.
  4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search this for the phrase "no
    feet on the pedals" ...
    _H*

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Note that in N, you really are coasting, and no regen is taking place. While I would prefer that that be the same as lifting off the gas pedal, the default of regen is more 'normal' for folks used to any other car.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The small amount of regenerative braking that occurs when you lift your foot from the accelerator pedal is intentional. It mimics the engine drag found in normal cars. Toyota engineers have endeavored to make the Prius feel and drive as much like a normal car as possible.

Tom

1 person likes this.