1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should blue light be off for scheduled charge?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by MommysPrius, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your new PRIME. When you say "the blue light", you are talking about the three blue LED on the far right corner of the dash? I know a green light comes on momentarily on the charge port when you plug-in, but have not noticed blue light on the dash when I charge by schedule. I will check it when I get home. As @Prius from Dad commented, it may only comes on if you lock the door and the climate control is ON which I almost never do on my car.

2. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, the blue light on the dash, the far right one.
    I tried it today with a charge scheduled for Friday and climate prep set to off. I plugged in, then locked the car and the blue light came on for ~15 seconds.
    Weird thing is that later when I went out to the garage the blue light came on whenever I got near the driver's door (with fob in my pocket). My guess is that light is just a notice that the car is plugged in.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. MommysPrius

MommysPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, my car interior lights came on and the blue light came on briefly too when I was nearby. It's like she's saying "I know you're near mommy"

4. Prius from Dad

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Did a little snooping around and found out a few things needed to make the lights come on.
    1. Car must be plugged in. (schedule is needed or else it will begin charging when plugged in)
    2. Car must be locked.
    3. Fob must be within ~4 feet of driver's door.

Also, SOC has a bearing on what lights are lit. I tried a few different SOC's:
    ~10% far right light.
    ~50% two far right lights.
    ~85% all three lights.

The lights will stay on for ~15 seconds with the fob within ~4 feet of driver's door or ~7 seconds if the fob is moved farther away.

Added this to:
    Most Obscure Prime Facts (Way Out There) | Page 11 | PriusChat

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this before the scheduled charging starts? Or can it also happen after the charge is complete?

Prius from Dad likes this.
  6. Prius from Dad

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've tried it before scheduled charge started and after it was complete and it works. It doesn't work while charging.

Raytheeagle and Salamander_King like this.
  7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’m not sure this is pertinent but, when you plug in the light on the plug should show a blinking light showing that your charge is scheduled, IF you have gone thru the procedure correctly. If you want it to charge now, unplug momentarily and replug and a solid green light will come on showing the battery is now charging. The small blue lights are showing the state of charge, ( in thirds ) when finished all 3 lights are on. I probably went thru the charging procedure like 10 times before getting it right. It seems to be a combination of computerize and Japanese thinking. One must read the instructions and then hope the interpretation is correct. My 2005 was actually a bit easier.