1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should brights be on the floor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Jun 15, 2005.

1. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

So far as I remember from my drivers' ed, when I learned to drive--got my license at 14--all vehicles had the floor dimmer for the brights. And my dad used to tell about the car he had (undoubtedly a Ford) which had the horn located to be activated by knee. He was quite a joker, and loved to tell the field hands that it was magic that made the horn know when to blow.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    brights were taken away from the floor in the mid to late 80s. it became standard to have them on the dash/steering column.

I believe it's illegal to put them on the floor. too many incidents of accidently hitting the brights. So.. this triggered the change. They also broke easy... ( from family experiance ).. kick a button.. see how long it last. hehe

3. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    High beams weren't the only thing controlled by a floor switch. Our family had a 1962 Oldsmobile that also had a radio tuner seek button on the floor. In this case, it was actually covered by the carpet (we had gotten the car used).

I remember when we had just gotten the car and we gave a ride to my friend. He was sitting in front passenger seat, and every time his hand got near the radio, the station changed. By the end of the trip, he was spooked.

4. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"98789)</div>
    You have no idea! Thanks for the laugh - It was fun while it lasted.

And that picture to the left is me at work.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"98919)</div>
    Actually, it wasn't stomping on the button that caused so many problems. It was the environment the button had to live in:

Dirt, dust, spilled coffee, rain, muddy boots, snow, slush, salt ...

More often than not, when a floor dimmer goes bad, it's corrosion that buggered it up. Not wear.