1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should freed Guantanamo detainees be compensated?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, May 16, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 17 2006, 08:35 PM) [snapback]257240[/snapback]</div>
    "Torture and the Constitution" Washington Post, December 11, 2005
    (I'll just let folks click on the link as I don't like to cut and paste)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1000934_pf.html

So, if an innocent person has been mistakenly sent to prison, they should not be released unless someone agrees to let them stay in their home? I don't get it.

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 17 2006, 04:36 AM) [snapback]256764[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for trying to make my posts engaging reading. I do it as a courtesy to the reader. By your sarcasm I can only infer that my courtesy offends you. Well, there's no pleasing everybody.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 17 2006, 04:36 AM) [snapback]256764[/snapback]</div>
    My, what an inefficient, stupid world we inhabit! We can scrap the entire interrogation apparatus and training at every police station - hell, scrap the whole court system. Waterboard a suspect for 13 seconds and voila!! - a complete and accurate confession, every time! No more days, weeks, months frittered away in useless, pointless trial! If only we'd waterboarded OJ for 13 seconds, that entire expensive circus could have been avoided!
    I think that idea might need a little work, sir, before it can be accepted as anything other than unadulterated garbage.
    What it DOES reveal, starkly, is your preference for torture over the more important goal of obtaining information.
    You're letting your blood lust confuse your priorities.
    The situation you originally posed is YOUR situation. I dramatised it, made it as real as I could make it. And all you could think to do is (1) mock my courtesy to the reader and (2) make a snide remark that proves your interest in the INFORMATION a sham, that your TRUE interest is gratifying a blood lust and making the suspect feel as awful as possible, even if it means never getting useful information.
    In fact, a person like you would REJECT any method of obtaining information that did not FIRST make a suspect feel bad. If a truth serum were developed that were (1) infallible and (2) made the suspect feel like a million dollars, you'd never use it. It wouldn't slake your sadistic thirst.
    I have and will contribute more money to the legal organizations that will help the Guantanamo detainees sue the federal gov't and federal officials personally as severely as possible, and when federal officers are arraigned and tried as war criminals I will contribute money to the prosecution. I do so out of selfish motives: failing to do so does more to condemn us to living under a fascist regime than supporting every resistance that can be mounted.

That fascism wrapped in the US flag prevents you from seeing the fascism itself baffles me. All satan need do is dress up in the stars and stripes and your heart and soul is his. Perhaps it's all that surging blood lust that clouds your vision.

3. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 17 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]257267[/snapback]</div>
    Why don't you send your money to the Saddam legal defense fund? Or are you?

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 17 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]256894[/snapback]</div>
    One of my kids was having a little trouble sleeping and I was up with them perusing this BB and came across this post of yours and it gave me a great idea about a fairy tale to tell them.

It went something like this...

The once was this organization that was called the United Nations. It was made up of all the worlds countries and it was conceived to bring about world peace over 60 years ago. and since then there have been more wars than in the prior 60 years since it was formed.

and, it spent half its time passing over half of all its resolutions condeming a country with a population of about 6 million people or .1% of the worlds population - and this little country was comprised of people whose relatives where murdered in the cruelest ways - and had nearly 2/3 of its total population wiped out while the world did nothing -

and this organization watched as millions of additional people were slaughtered and did nothing

and this organization allowed county after country to develop nuclear weapons

and this organization allowed ruthless dictators to slaughter its own people

and this organization was guilty of passing favors for money like taking money from a dictator in an oil rich country while he killed hundreds of thousands of his own people - and they watched and did nothing

and this organization watches as millions starve to death and does nothing

amazing how you believe this same fairy tail as my kid.... but then again most canadians do dont they - as long as the US is a target....

5. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 17 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]257267[/snapback]</div>
    poignantly stated, indeed...

:)

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imntacrook @ May 17 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]257309[/snapback]</div>
    Man, talk about talking to a wall.

Or to a flock of ducks.

Ducks: "QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!"

Me: "So, if premise A is true, and premise B is true, don't you think conclusion C valid, even taking into account factors X, Y and Z?"

Ducks: "QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!"

One might say I look pretty stupid trying to argue intelligently with a flock of ducks, and such an observation would be difficult to refute, I admit.

On the other hand, the entertainment value cannot be discounted.

Maybe I should sell tickets.

QUACK! QUACK!

7. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imntacrook @ May 17 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]257309[/snapback]</div>
    This may sound ironic but part of the defense fund is being paid by me, you and all taxpayers of US.

:)