1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should households get charged for how much trash they throw away?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, May 5, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ultimately, I don't think we should have garbage pick up at all. Eventually, everything should be returnable, recycleable, or go in the compost. All these huge trucks driving around picking up our waste and hauling it hundreds of miles to dump in a big hole is a really stupid idea.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We get charged by how much we toss out. If it fits in one dumpster per week, it's at the base cost; any more than that and you pay extra.

Tom

3. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We need to back up and start with the manufacturers that put goods into all of this double packaging that is not necessary.

What should they have to pay? Instead they charge us for it.

4. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ May 8 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]437873[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but it is probably more efficient than having hundreds or thousands of people driving their vehicles loaded with trash once a week to the dump. ;)

5. bastcat8

bastcat8 New Member

I lived in Germany for six years and they have a pay as you use trash system. They had different stickers with different prices, one for waste and one for paper you placed them on the trash cans when you took out the trash. There was a flat fee for recyclables that was charged yearly. They didn't pick up recyclables everytime it was usually once a month and they had a truck with two different slots, one for paper and one for waste. They are sooooo into recycling that even at McDonald's you don't throw out your own trash. You place it on a rack and someone who works there separates it out.
    If you got an ice cream sundae at McDonald's it wasn't in a plastic cup it was in a cone cup. It is kind of cool to think about the difference that just changing things a little can do.
    I had young children in Germany which is what necessitated the trips to McDonalds.!