1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy 2017 Prius or the 2018

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by tf4624, Oct 27, 2017.

1. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should I buy 2017 Prius or the 2018. Looking to buy fully loaded top notch. I would rather have the prime but won't be looking at it due to 2 reasons. 1 being no middle seat in the back. second trunk room is a joke. I'm more for the trunk like that in 2008. Space to haul tools and stuff. So what I'm looking for folks if you can tell me what's the same in both models and or what changes in the 2018. I've looked on the web couldn't find what was enough difference in the 2018. Thanks

Bat cave

bisco likes this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nobody knows what changes are coming in 2018. Probably nothing major.

RCO likes this.
  3. RonMc5

RonMc5 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If I didn't already have a 2017, I would attend the absolute 1st car show that has 2018s and perhaps decide if I wanted the new one at probably full price, or a suitable leftover at a better price. Or I guess one could decide to forgo immediate purchase if one decided the 2018 was worth the wait... and wait 'til they are more readily available and priced accordingly. I tried that strategy between a 2015 PiP and a 2016 PiP, but the fooled me big time by 1) stopping production of the 2015 early and then coming out with the Prime skipping a whole year! Egg on face, place! :) P.S. All the 2015s were gone long since. :eek:

RCO likes this.
  4. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe I read in Consumer Reports there are no significant changes for the 2018 Prius (Hatchback). Therefore you can get a great deal on a 2017. They're not exactly selling like hotcakes. Year to year sales are sharply down again. You can save thousands of dollars on a 2017. Take advantage of it.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  5. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed the Prius 4 is the only one that has advanced tech package. But the 4 touring doesn't have it. It has upgraded wheels and led headlights and fog lights. What moron at Toyota doesn't know that the top of the line should have all options. I'm having an issue on deciding on touring vs the lvl 4 with tech package. This stinks.

Bat cave

RCO and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd get the 4 w/ tech, but it's a personal decision. does the 4 come with a spare tire?

otoh, maybe wait and see if they lower the hatch floor and add a seat on the 2018 prime.

RCO likes this.
  7. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No one outside of Toyota, including Consumer Reports, knows whether there will be significant mid cycle changes or hardly any changes for the 2018 model year. There is a good chance that announcements about the 2018 Prius will be made at the LA auto show which starts Dec 1st.

I would wait until then if you can.

#7 royrose, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    krmcg and RCO like this.
  8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I'd wait to see if there are any changes in 2018. Gen 2 and 3 were updated for their 3rd model year, 2006 and 2012 respectively, which means 2018 for the current gen but no one knows outside Toyota.

9. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even Car and Driver reports to expect "Minor trim changes."

Toyota for 2018: What's New | Feature | Car and Driver

Of course, it doesn't hurt to wait for the 2018 details. They should be out very soon. On the Toyota hybrid car page, they already show five 2018 hybrids, including the Prius c.

RCO likes this.
  10. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right I read about that. Anyway looks like I'm going to get a Prius four with tech package loaded. Then have to add the led fog light and custom wheels. This is the only difference I read about on the touring. Anyone can verify my findings ? If it's right. What kind of work am I looking at to install fog lights and a switch inside the vehicle? Thanks

Bat cave

11. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah the Prius C surprisingly got another MMC for 2018. If you didn't like the 2015 Predator grill from the first MMC, then you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure why Toyota would update the car a second time. It's 7 years old now? It's usually time for an all new model.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the outside? It also has the LED chevron parking light (non-Tourings use the turn signals as the forward-facing parking light) and the LED clearance lights ( the 3 vertical LED dots below the LED foglights). At the rear, it has Touring-specific lower rear bumper valence (the black plastic is different between Touring and non-Touring).

On the inside, Touring models get blue stitching on the seats and blue vent accents (vs. black or turquoise on non-Touring)

13. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Talking specifically fog lights. I would have to add them to the lvl 4, only the touring has fog lights but not the advanced tech package

Bat cave

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it the Toyota fog lights you're considering? They're pretty ineffectual; it's actually hard to tell if they're on or off. A couple of thoughts:

1. Member @Frederickdawg got a level without fogs, and painted the (cheap looking) mat black blanks body colour, big improvement. Look through his postings for his thread on that.

2. Get the cheapest decent-looking fog light set (non-Toyota) money can buy, just install them, but don't bother wiring them up.

No offense, but that makes me shudder. Take the time to research the levels.

Merkey and Frederickdawg like this.
  15. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ? I did research it. You can tell if you read my posts

Bat cave

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably because similar to the Prius v, the Prius c is a low selling model. But it apparently sells enough to keep it going in its current design. I think the v is the interesting question right now, it's somewhat running out of time for Toyota to either discontinue it or redesign it. I'm hoping for the latter as I still root for the resurgence of station wagons in the U.S. (I still have a 1992 Camry wagon that I bought new).

In Europe wagons are still popular. They are extremely sensible cars, they just have the unfortunate drawback of being "uncool" in an era of SUV's and crossovers. My Camry wagon can haul more than many of the crossovers out there which is why I still keep it for weekend hauling. With the rear seats folded down it has a six foot long perfectly flat floor. Wagons typically used to cost just slightly more than the sedans they were based on since they shared nearly all the same components. Whereas modern wagons (the few that exist) not so much. Like the v which is based somewhat on Gen 3 but not all the dimensions are the same so not all parts are interchageable. Whereas my Camry wagon shares nearly all parts with the sedan other than of course things like the hatch and rear body panels. In fact the 1992 factory service manual (which I have) was for both sedan and wagon, with just a very few sections that related only to the wagon, basically just anything in the very rear of the car.

CoolPrius and mmmodem like this.
  17. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love a Prius v if it got the same mpg as the Prius. I like it because it actually has trunk space

Bat cave

RCO likes this.
  18. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Adding cargo capacity will always reduce mpg somewhat because of the extra sheetmetal, glass and plastic as well as the reduced aerodynamics. Of course v is a little more complex because it is slightly wider and has other differences, but even if they made it exactly based on the liftback it would still get somewhat lower mpg, which is the tradeoff. But still way better than a crossover with similar cargo capacity.

#18 Since2002, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  19. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but with all this tech stop drinking the koolaid. They can easily get the Prius v wagon 60 mpg city and highway. The special interest folks prevent it and have been since the creation of the first car. Mpg of 15-26 was the in the early 1900 and look. Not really any advancement because of them.

Bat cave

20. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, but would anyone buy then? Keep in mind, cars of yore weighed much less than the 3000 pound behemoths we call compact cars today. All the safety and modern gadgets we take Ford granted have a weight penalty. Even if fuel economy isn't advancing, there has been a lot of improvement.

A Prius v that gets 60 mpg is easy but who's going to buy a $250,000 carbon fiber Prius?

Or on the other end, a stripper Prius that has low crash test scores, no stereo, no automatic climate control, no options of any kind. The key is balance. Some would say the Prius has gone too far in the name of fuel economy.

Tyfly, RCO and Since2002 like this.