1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a Gen3 or fix my Gen2?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MB31, Oct 24, 2018.

1. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A week ago I was in a collision, a car drove into my side which was not my fault. The insurance judged that the repairs are more expensive then the car and they will award me a replacement fee which they are still contemplating. When they do I get the option to keep the car (in that case I get the replacement fee minus the worth of the damaged car).

So I have two options:

1. Take the smaller fee and keep the car. Use (part of) the fee to fix the car. It needs a new back door and some more fixes on the exterior. The car (Gen2, 2005, 180K miles) does not have any problems that I know of (besides old battery) and I really like it.

2. Take the bigger fee and buy a different car. In that case my budget (~10.000eur) would be enough for a 2010 Gen3 with roughly 100K miles. A younger car is also possible but would have more miles.

What do you think of option 2. Would a 2010 gen3 with 100K miles be a smart purchase, is it a good car? Is it substantially better than my current car?

I drive <15K miles per year. Almost all of it freeway but with rush hour stop and go traffic.

Reasons I am looking at Prius again:
    - Auto transmission
    - Silent
    - Spacious and comfortable interior
    - Reliability and low maintenance costs(?)

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a very personal decision

If the damage is minor you could potentially get a shade tree repair (or do it yourself)

But honestly if you don’t do all your own work I would move on to another car.

Perhaps buy a good condition Gen II for example like a 2009

But personally I wouldn’t buy a Gen III if you want newer andcan afford it chip in the extrabfor a Gen IV ,
    Gen III’s are too much of a risk it seems and should just be skipped

Good Luck

strawbrad likes this.
  3. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree with Rmay, keep the or a 2 or move to a 4, skip the three.
    Had a 2 loved it.
    Had a 3, yes it's got the 1.8 ice but it's a tub.
    Have a 4, it's tuned for the road when you get it, the 2 need a front upper strut bar and 2 body stiffening plates (not available for the 3) and the 4 is still better then a tuned 2.
    Getting rid of body sway makes the car safer.
    IMHO

4. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I didn't know that about the gen3, though I did get this vibe when viewing the 3 forum.

Unfortunately I can't afford a Gen4, they start at 25.000 euro's which is a long way from 10.000.

I am open for any other car brand/make as well but don't know what would be a good alternative. I have looked at Lexus CT-H 200 but they are quite expensive (and probably the same hybrid system as the gen3). Same goes for the Auris I guess, an don't like the interior and size of that one.

I don't necessarily need a hybrid but I really like the automatic transmission (which a lot of cars don't have here in Europe). Also of course the mileage is great.

#4 MB31, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  5. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don’t know if it’s the same where you are but in my state of the US if you buy a car back after it’s been totaled it will have a salvage title. If you then try to trade it in later you won’t get much for it and some insurance companies won’t insure a car with a salvage title. Also, if you ever get into another wreck at some future time you won’t get much, if anything, for it if it were totaled again.

My Gen3 was totaled a couple of weeks ago by a 2010 Prius and a semi truck so I’m looking for another car myself. While I loved my Prius I’m thinking of going with a RAV4 to be higher up and have a taller back end. Something about having a semi truck turn my Prius from a hatchback into a sedan while my 5 year old was in the back is unsettling.

I’d go for a newer car if you can. When I got my 2014 new I looked at used ones and didn’t like the previous generation’s styling. The new generation looks nice though. If I didn’t have 2 kids and feel nervous about being in a car again I’d prob go with a newer generation Prius.

iPhone ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're willing to replace the battery if needed, keep the gen 2.

7. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll look into that, thanks! The car is "economically totaled" as opposed to "technical totaled" (this is what they call it here), meaning it is fine and safe to drive but the repair costs are higher than the value of the car right before the crash. I could imagine these insurance troubles would only be there for a technical totaled car in which case you have to have it checked before you are allowed to drive it again.

The insurance is supposed to let me know this week how much money I will be getting and what I have to pay to keep the damaged car. I'll give it some more thought.

8. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting. Here it’s either totaled or it’s not. The salvage cars I’ve had didn’t have major damage and were functional but just cost more to repair than the car was worth and that’s just because the estimated repair costs were more than 25% of the pre-accident value of the car.

iPhone ?

9. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two

10. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it were me, and with a limited budget, I’d either DIY the “economically totaled” Prius OR I’d look for a lower mileage 2009. It seems a lot of folks give the gen2 very high marks for reliability. If you have your heart set on a gen3, The EGR system must be completely cleaned at about the 100k mile mark....

Bay Stater likes this.
  11. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    That is not a must in my opinion. There are plenty of Gen 3 Priuses on the road with many more miles than that that haven't done anything to the EGR system. They just don't come to a forum to report that everything is fine.

That said, there is a risk of EGR and related problems, so cleaning the system at some point is good preventative maintenance if you are planning on keeping the Prius a long time . My plan is to wait until 120k miles and then replace spark plugs and do EGR cleaning at the same time.

Bay Stater likes this.
  12. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure I suppose one could wait until 120k miles.... although, I’ve read somewhere on PriusChat that a change in headgasket material occurred for MY2012(?)..... I think the OP is considering a MY2010 and on THAT year, I’d consider getting the EGR circuit cleaned “stem to stern” sooner rather than later. That’s just me. I don’t recall reading a thread where someone looked at their egr circuit with a lot of miles (150K+) and the egr wasn’t a clogged mess. I’m sure it’s possible I missed one, though.

Bay Stater and royrose like this.
  13. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the replies, I will look into this EGR stuff!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's exactly what I did @120K miles. I also installed an OCC. Great time to do it while all the ICE components are off. (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. MCCABE Yohe

MCCABE Yohe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five