1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should I buy a prius with an accident history

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bearybop, May 4, 2010.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Theres a difference in an accident that requires sheetmetal repair, and an accident that breaks the radiator supports.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the OP, a lot of warning bells seem to be going off. It's "nice" that the seller disclosed the history of it's accident BUT given the ease of discovering this history today, that's not necessarily indicative of him/her not having further motive.

Sometimes I just go with, is it too good to be true. 11,000 for a 3 year old Prius with 48,000 miles, if no history was attached would be an excellent price, so given the history my fear is you are getting what you are paying for, a discounted dangerous gamble.

If I'm reading everything correctly you would become the 3rd party to own the vehicle in 3 years? That's not a good sign.

There is no way, in a forum, anyone can really give you a definitive answer. Given your description there is reason enough I would be very wary. It's not a gamble I would take, is the most I can say.

Investigate other options. Sometimes if you are really sold on wanting a specific car, a situation like you describe can be abnormally tempting. But used Prius, and good deals will always exist and always be possible. I'd look for one that didn't set off so many warning bells.