1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a Prius ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by abkdj, Nov 19, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is the first model year release of the 2010 Prius, the ZVW30, and there are substantial changes. We would expect this year and even part of next years production to have more issues than the 2009, the last of the NHW20. We are after all the first owner-testers of the new car and accept the risks of early problems with the payback for having a 1.8L engine and other advances that more than make up for the problems. Also, many of us have prior experience so we have something to compare it to and can make value judgments about how much a squeek is compared to the improved mechanics.

Am I going to sell our 2010 Prius? -- Not until 2012 at the earliest when many of these latent defects will have been corrected. But in the meanwhile, we're getting ~52 MPG without having to do anything special and excellent high-speed, highway mileage.

My recommendation is rent a Prius, even an NHW20, and see how you like it. The 2010 Prius has improved so many things that for me it was a trivial decision. Our other car was a 2001 Echo. However, if you don't like the NHW20 model experience, the 2010 won't be different enough to overcome that experience.

Use test drives and if you can, do two in any candidate car. The first drive is just to get used to the car. The second one should be to address what you remember from the first. Best of course is to rent one for a couple of days.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

2. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are a new driver I would suggest that you get a used tank-like car (think 80's Volvo) for a year or two, and then get a new car. I certainly had a couple of minor accidents in that period, and could have had more.

If you are a teenager, I say "Wait a minute, back in the old days no one would get you a new car. ^(&*^& spoiled rotten kids."

If you are just learning to drive at an older age (like my mother, who didn't drive till she was 35 because she grew up in NY where they have the subways), I'd still suggest a sturdy used car for a bit, even though I don't remember her having any accidents.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am 22 years old. My first cars were my parents' old cars, a 1989 Acura Legend and then a 1995 Volvo. Drove those cars for 5 years, from when I was 17-22. My mom has had her Prius since 2006, but would NEVER let me drive it. I still am not allowed to drive it.

But our family loved the Prius so much and I wanted a new car, so that just 2 months ago I bought a 2009 Prius (my parents met me half way). I love it and don't regret buying it (well most of it). You will love the Prius too, but you'll also appreciate it much more if you've driven a beater car for a few years. People think I'm spoiled, but I have a job. Good luck!