1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ruth79, Nov 9, 2010.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given your stated reasons for interest? I think it could be a very good choice.

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll get a lot of abbreviations and acronyms tossed at you on this site, people get tired of typing out stuff like "Internal Combustion Engine" (ICE) or "Multi-Function Display" (MFD).

Here's a quick rundown on some of the ones you may have seen so far in this discussion thread:

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine. Since the Prius has multiple sources for propulsion, it can get confusing when talking about the "motor" (which one, gas one or one of the electric ones?). So you will often see people use ICE to refer to the gasoline powered engine in the car.

MG1 = Motor/Generator number 1. There are 2 electric motor/generators in the Prius. MG1 is used primarily for generating the electricity that powers MG2 and recharges the high voltage traction battery, for starting the ICE, and to adjust the ratio of ICE speed to wheel speed (see PSD below). In some circumstances MG1 can be used in other ways, research PriusChat for information on "heretical mode" for examples. It always draws and feeds power directly to/from the large high voltage traction battery.

MG2 = Motor/Generator number 2. MG2 is connected directly to the output shaft for the front wheels. If the wheels are turning, MG2 is spinning. If the wheels aren't moving, neither is MG2. MG2 is always used to move the vehicle in reverse, and to move in drive when the ICE is off. It also is used to add extra output to the wheels when accelerating/passing. When braking/slowing down, MG2 uses the momentum of the vehicle turning the wheels to act as a generator and recharge the high voltage traction battery. It always draws and feeds power directly to/from the large high voltage traction battery.

12V = auxiliary battery = The 12 volt battery that is used to power accessories in the vehicle (just like the battery in any modern vehicle that doesn't require a hand crank on the front to get it started). Unlike non-hybrid vehicles, this battery is not used to start the ICE. Since it doesn't need to operate a starter motor and provide torque to start the ICE, this battery is smaller and less powerful than the 12V in most non-hybrid cars. This means that if you leave an intertior light, or the headlights, or any other accessory on when the car is shut off, the battery will die faster than you are accustomed to with other vehicles. When the car is off, for safety reasons, the other battery (the high voltage traction battery) is completely disconnected with a relay (a switch that is turned on and off using another source of electricity). When turning the car on, power from the 12V battery is used to close that switch to re-connect the high voltage battery. Therefore, even though the 12V system isn't used to start the ICE, if the 12V battery is drained, it won't be able to close the switch to the other battery, so you won't be able to turn the car on.

HV = Traction Battery = High Voltage Battery = 200V battery = Big battery. All these terms are referring to the same battery. Since 2004 this battery has been 201.6 volts. This is the battery that is used to power MG1, MG2, and the air conditioning compressor. MG1 draws power from this battery to start the ICE. This battery is connected to a DC/DC converter that converts the 201.6 volts of direct current (DC) electricity to 12 volts of DC electricity. The 12 volts output from the converter is used to operate the headlights, interior lights, computers, displays, and to keep the 12V battery charged up.

FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. It is a propaganda tactic used to influence public perception by spreading false or misleading information to undermine the credibility of a competitor. It has been successfully used in areas such as politics, real-estate, and the technology industry to influence people to make decisions that are against their own best interests.

EBH = Electronic Block Heater. An aftermarket part sold by Toyota that can be used to pre-heat the ICE before starting the vehicle. Reduced gasoline use can be accomplished as a direct result of starting with a warmer ICE.

MFD = Multi-Function Display. This is the "big digital screen above the radio controls". Depending on the model year and option package purchased this display may be of various resolutions, may also display GPS and electronic map information, and may be connected to a rear view camera when the vehicle is placed in "reverse gear".

HSD = Hybrid Synergy Drive. This is the set of hybrid technologies owned by Toyota and used in the Prius and other Toyota hybrid vehicles as well as hybrid vehicles from other manufacturers that have licensed the technology from Toyota (such as the Nissan Altima hybrid).

PSD = Power Split Device. This is the planetary gear set that is used to connect together the wheels, MG1, MG2, and the ICE. It is essentially the "transmission" in that it connects the ICE to the wheels, however, it has a fixed gear ratio. Varying the ratio of ICE speed to wheel speed (as is commonly accomplished with gear shifts in a manual or automatic transmission) is accomplished electronically by varying the speed of MG1. See the following website and play with the MG1, MG2, ICE sliders to get a better feel for how this works: Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

3 people like this.
  3. JDiver

JDiver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Y'all have been most helpful - I lurked, read and purchased (Prius V 2010), at least in part on the basis of this thread and Forum (also other reports, research, riding as a passenger and renting a Prius.)

My previous vehicle was an Avalon, and yep, I can notice the difference in ride, soundproofing and seating. But I am still impressed with how roomy the Prius is (barring I try to sandwich someone like me into the seat directly in back of me, as I am 6'4" / 193 cm), the relative solidity and stability (except the kind of nonspecific steer feel), the instrumentation and driving.

What I am less enthused about include the driver seating (I'm working on the issue of finding my match of position, lumbar and whatever else I need for longer drives, in the meantime). IMO, Toyota chose not to add a bit of insulation and comfort to the higher levels - and I assume a bit of that is a "stiffer" higher pressure tire to minimize rolling resistance.

All in all, some reasonable tradeoffs, and, trying to avoid being political on a board dedicated to the Prius, a good one is not sending as much money for petroleum products to companies and nations I don't think always have our best interests at heart.

4. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    big people; as in girth or height?

what are you calling poor people? those making less than $20K, $50K or $100K ?

5. GWhizzer

GWhizzer not so Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I get the old "the prius is expensive to repair" (almost inevitably they are referring to some component of the HSD whether it be the traction battery, the inverter or the PSD) I just laugh. I have spent over $8,000 on my 2000 Windstar transmission in the 7 years I have owned it. Given the reliability track record of the Prius, just about ANY possible repair on it holds absolutely no fear for me.:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Big"....like "poor" is a relative term.
    MY definition of "poor" is radically different than the government's, and has been influenced by my travels abroad. This is beyond the scope of comparing the Prius to an econobox like the Versa, the Aveo, or many other cars that don't start at 24K and rapidly shoot past thirty. If your job description includes the phrase "make sure that you put a straw in the sack", then a $25K Prius may not be the car that you should be looking to drive...especially if you have to pay for stupid stuff like food and sleeping indoors.
    The Prius is a good car, and if you buy one new...and don't loose your keys, and do self-maintenance....you may expect this car to have fairly low maintenance costs, and I also expect that the reliability will be above par for this class---recent press notwithstanding.
    It's still NOT a bargain car, nor is is a car that I would expect a 450lb 6-foot five inch lap band recipient to be driving.
    I'm sure that there are statistical outliers to my opinion...and it IS JMHO...
    The last time I looked....our little Prius (and YES...I'm aware that the EPA says it's a MID-SIZED car...) was the 12th or 13th best selling car in the United States.
    If the cheerleaders out there were 100-percent correct, it would be in the top 5. If the FUD people were 100-percent right, Toyota wouldn't be able to give this car away.
    The truth is where is almost always is...somewhere in the middle.;)

"Should you buy this car?"
    I think that for many, the answer should be yes, but to be honest with you, if my job description were to suddenly change to either "trust fund recipient" or "unemployed Electronics Tech", then I would not be driving a Prius. In the case of the former, I'd revert to type and get s sports car, and in the case of the latter, I'd be looking for a used econobox.
    Just sayin....:cool: