1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a used 2nd gen Prius or a Honda Fit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Newoldcar, Jul 20, 2018.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Nearly every cheap, high mileage Gen2 Prius will need another $$$$ HV (high voltage) battery within the next 5 years.

TIP: some sellers might say their car has a "new" HV battery when in reality it's usually a used, refurbished battery. Always get physical verification (receipts at a minimum).

2. Newoldcar

Newoldcar New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That is something to worry about. Although I've heard of great third-party options for new batteries that beat Toyota's price, especially here in SoCal.

3. wanderso

wanderso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In the old days, excessive oil consumption could be revealed by looking at the sparkplugs and notice if they are fouled. If the plug tip is black and wet, excessive oil burning is likely. I don't know how excessive it would have to be before that shows up. Another effort that can be done is a compression test, followed by a "leak down" test. All 3 of these tests can be readily performed by an inspecting mechanic. These days, some don't want to perform the compression and leak down test due to fear of damaging the coil packs when they are removed for the test. (I ran into this reasoning on an inspection of a different car a few years ago).

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're right about working on the surrounding. I own a Nissan Infiniti v8. Each time I opened up the hood to work, my colleagues when they see how the surroundings is filled with components, they kinda like say, "we just hate working on cars like these". Their reason being, the space is limited.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I owned a 2010 Honda Fit...then a Gen 3 Prius, then back to a 2016 Honda Fit.

I like both vehicles.
    Obviously The Prius is a Hybrid. Therefore, in good condition and working it's going to return you the best MPG. Also, while the Fit has amazingly clever storage configuration, fold down and up seats, it's a sub-compact. The Prius is larger.

Either would or could be a good choice. Since we are talking about a higher mileage, used vehicle, either could be problematic, older higher mileage used vehicles do not come with any guarantees.

People I think tend to "back" the vehicle they currently own. In all honesty, I think either could be a good choice. I wouldn't NOT buy a Prius because of rumored or feared problems with headlights. Avoid the HID headlights and go Halogen and it won't be a problem.

I'm going to recommend The Honda Fit however, because of 5 words...." I have a small budget".
    All Gen 2's are getting chronologically old by default.
    If you are on a tight budget, with little room for further investment, I would avoid the potential complications of an aging Hybrid. This most notably could include the Hybrid Battery, but all Prius also have all the added Hybrid Components that make them the amazing machines that they are.

If reliability is your primary goal? I would actually expand your search. Why limit it to just Prius, or just Fit? There are a lot of vehicles that will give you the utilitarian aspects of a both a Prius and Fit, and also return good gas mileage, and it seems to me you just want the "best" vehicle you can afford. I would expand to include Yaris, Matrix, Corolla-there are a lot of vehicles you could look at.

I think Prius is fantastic vehicle. But if someone is purchasing, against the financial wall? I just wouldn't recommend an older Prius. You could easily get years of reliability BUT...you also take the risk of getting a Hybrid that starts to break down. This may be true of all older vehicles but only with Hybrids do you have the "extra" Hybrid components in the mix.

If you are ABSOLUTELY sold on getting a Gen 2 Prius, obviously best condition out of the gate is important. And as stated, be prepared to possibly have to invest into a new Hybrid Battery. So just know, whatever you are paying for the Gen 2 today, could include an upwards of $3000 dollar investment into a Hybrid Battery tomorrow. If that expense would be debilitating? A Prius without a Hybrid Battery is nearly worthless.
    Your concerns about headlights really would be nearly non-existent on my list.

My advice? Expand your search parameters, and as unpopular as it may be to say in Prius Chat...if we are talking about seeking reliability on a budget with very little room for failure, I might avoid investment into an aging Hybrid. The allure of gas savings would easily be trumped if a major repair becomes necessary.

egg_salad, dubit and srellim234 like this.
  6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No argument from this Priuschat member. On a tight budget I would limit myself to a Gen III Prius if I were dead set on getting one. As you point out, there are way too many quality other vehicles out there for similar prices. I'd save the plans to own a Prius for a later date when things are more financially stable.

7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE For Sale In Arlington | Cars.com

No offense but if you want an inexpensive reliable, high MPG point A to B transport device see above.

That car is the most popular sub compact for a reason, easy to work on, simple and most any breakdown could be solved with $50 of effort.

It’s so popular it even has its own web forum.

Further, if you are careful with your driving you can get similar MPGs as a Gen II PRII all the while you might even get one still under factory warranty for the same bank.

2018 Mitsubishi Mirage For Sale In Lakeland | Cars.com

Hmm Prius C’s are finally coming down in price
    2012 Toyota Prius c One For Sale In Elmhurst | Cars.com

2012 Toyota Prius C hatchback - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

#27 Rmay635703, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  8. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've owned bunches of cars since the dawn of the Internet (and plenty before, as well)

EVERY SINGLE CAR MODEL has its own forum! :D

(Even Prius!)