1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I Buy an Already Converted PHEV?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by blaqdragun, Jun 29, 2011.

1. blaqdragun

blaqdragun New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and want to thank everyone for all of the knowledge they have given me as I perused during the last couple of weeks.
    I wanted to get some perspective and advice before committing to purchase a 2008 (Navigation/Leather Package) Prius that was converted to a PHEV using the A-123 HY-Motion system in September 2008. The car has 21,500 miles, a clean title, and looks to be in great condition. I have been looking for a Used Prius for weeks now, but cannot seem to find the best balance among mileage, price, and features. The fact that this car has undergone a PHEV conversion is pretty much icing on the cake considering it has navigation, leather, and a back-up camera.
    I am experiencing hesitation for a couple of reasons:

1) Since the car was converted in 2008, the Hymotion warranty is pretty much done. Along with that, I can assume that the Toyota warranty has also been voided due to the conversion.

2) 2) Given #1, what can I expect in terms of maintenance costs for both the Prius and Hymotion systems? Does anyone know if there is an extended warranty that can be purchased to cover either or both?

Please let me know what you think. Btw, I live in Nothern NJ. Thanks.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) The Toyota warranty is not voided by putting in an aftermarket PHEV conversion.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur.
    Answer to your original question would depend on the asking price, and why the seller is looking at a blinking "change owner" light.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm not so sure about that.
    Show-up to the dealer's servicenter and see their reaction with a problem that may involve a car electrical problem.
    I went through the experience more than once to 4 different Toyota servicenters.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My local Toyota DEALER installs Hymotion systems. So it is not an issue here in Madison, WI

6. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    U are lucky; Your dealer is one of the few shining stars in between many, many thousand around the grounds of the USA with the I don't care attitude.
    I found that self servicing avoid me many headaches and peace of mind.

7. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have an '08 with the Hymotion kit. So far, no problems with the Prius or the Hymotion except for a couple of times when it was really cold and for whatever reason the Hymotion battery didn't charge. Unplugging it and plugging it back in fixed that.

I'll repeat what was already said in that the Hymotion kit does not necessarily void the Toyota warranty according to A123. However, if I ever had a problem with my car, I'd either try to fix it myself or take it to a Toyota dealer that does Hymotion installs to avoid the hassle of dealing with a dealer who doesn't have a clue about the Hymotion system and will likely give you trouble.

Out of curiosity, what is he asking for the car and where is it for sale? You don't see to many Hymotion Prius for sale. You can private message me if you don't want someone else to "steal" the car away from you :)

8. Colorado Carl

Colorado Carl New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the Hymotion conversion installed a year ago and have been very happy with it. It was installed by an independent shop, the only one in Coloraodo, and they have been great, so I feel good about having a place to service it.

The one disappointment has been the tax break that Colorado has for the conversion. Colorado has a generous tax credit which made the conversion possible for me, and they denied me the credit. I appealed and still have not received my tax return. So, if you get a reasonable price for the converted Prius you're considering, having the other guy take the initial hit on installation, I'd say go for it. Fantastic mileage has made it worth it for me.

9. pwp1943

pwp1943 PHEV Afficionado

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a problem with my system where DC/DC converter in the aftermarket battery failed. When it failed, it produced a fault code that was not recognized by the Scangauge II and therefore could not be reset. The code would not let the car start again, so I had it towed to the dealer. You can’t imagine the amount of aggravation the service department put me through when they found the aftermarket battery in the car. The number of phone calls was unbelievable. I got so upset that I finally asked them whether the car belonged to me or to them. I eventually got them to just reset the code through the OBD2 plug with their fault code reader. After code reset, I was able to drive the car away. That was in November after buying a Camry hybrid and a Prius hybrid from them in the past 2 years. Needless to say, that is the last time that particular Toyota dealership will ever see me or my two cars again.

10. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe that you can buy a Toyota extended warranty as long as the original warranty (36 months, 36,000 miles) is still in effect. There is someone on this site that sells them (check the Prius Shop) and he apparently has a good reputation and can answer your questions.

11. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Toyota extended warranties are a great buy but only if you use them in withing the narrow time left.
    I expend $900.00 for an utility that I never used.