1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy Prius 3 now or wait?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Hyperian, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Hyperian

Hyperian New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new to buying a Prius, I live in the Bay Area and I am looking to buy a Prius 3. Does anyone know if the price or APR will generally go down by Thanksgiving and new years or if it won't be much different til new years?

2. RamesesThe2nd

RamesesThe2nd 2012 Prius III - Classic Silver Mettalic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got 2012 Prius Model 3 and got 2.9% APR for 60 months. The current APR deal is supposed to expire on 12/3/2012, so I am assuming Toyota will come up with a similar deal next month for new year / Xmas season. I traded my 2010 Highlander for Prius and my dealer had a lot of Prius in stock. I think I was able to negotiate a good price. It won't hurt to start looking now. Go to your Toyota dealer and see what they have in stock. Good luck!

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was 2 years ago on Nov 17 when I bought my 2010 Prius IV. The time was right for me and the dealer only had one Barcelona Red IV without the sunroof or tech package that I wanted, and plenty others in different colors. Shortly afterward, price of gas went up, then eventually the earthquake/tsunami in Japan hit and if you could find one, you paid list or more. I am so glad I didn't wait a few more months!.

If the potential to save another $100 - $200 is important, then wait and see what happens. If you're thinking there is a potential $$1,000 or $2,000 on the table still, you will be disappointed to find out later there isn't. It really depends on your situation, if you have a trade-in, the amount of your down payment, etc. Your best price will depend on how well you can negotiate the final price. If the time is right for you have a new Prius than go out and make the best deal you can, buy it and don't look back. If it doesn't matter one way or the other, then you can probably wait - and that in and of itself is leverage because the now the dealer has to entice you or sweeten the deal to make it right for you.

4. enigma88

enigma88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I have read, the 2013 Prius will be arriving sometime in December. I think dealers will be more willing to deal in order to get rid of the 2012s when the 2013s arrive. If this is true, it's probably better if you wait a little bit longer to buy. I hope this helps.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any particular reason you're limiting yourself to "Prius 3"? There are 3 other trim levels: 2012 Toyota Prius MPG | Prius Prices.

However, I doubt financing and Toyota's incentives/rebates/discounts will be vary by trim level.

6. Hyperian

Hyperian New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going with 3 because I don't really need the higher trim level, just to save some money.

7. RamesesThe2nd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went with 3 because it had everything I wanted. Leather in prius is not real leather and it looks and feels really cheap. Audio system in 3 is just meh. 4's JBL system might be better. I had Toyota basic audio system in my 2010 Highlander SE and it sounded much better than basic Toyota audio system in Prius.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you considered pip?

9. Hyperian

Hyperian New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've thought about plugin but it's just too expensive, the 2500 rebate from federal gov just isn't enough.

10. Hyperian

Hyperian New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    is 24k a good price for a new 2012 prius 3? I found a dealership that is willing to do it for 24k if I pay in full.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. RamesesThe2nd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PIP seems like a really good option. If I had rebates available in my state (IL), I would totally go for it. Without rebates PIP is just too expensive to make financial sense. Also Toyota is clearly failing at explaining rebates to its customer on its website. I went to Chevy's site and they have links with estimated rebates amount clearly listed. I think Volt with rebates is actually a better deal than PIP.